• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tail light box metal thickness

XJ&CHZ4ME

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you running or building tail light boxes, what thickness of metal are you using? I was trying to find some prefabed ones online to compare thickness, but there are not many options out there. I know there will be ones that are home built that are super thick and others that are paper thin, but just curious as to what is being used as the "norm". Discuss....

nope most everyone like myself discontinued them due to the fact you had to produce so many at a time to get a decent cost on them and the demand for them was not great enough to make producing them worthwhile

totalfab.net has some look under the product tab. chris is a great guy.

The THOR guards are still the best looking IMO, but they are waaaay to spendy for my junk! I'll make my own eventually.
Billy

The cost of the steel, laser cutting, and the rolling/bending is the spendy part, profit margins on them are very low. Shipping also kills the price.

;)

They are nice, but I could find $350 to spend else where on my junk.

Last edited:
For those of you running or building tail light boxes, what thickness of metal are you using? I was trying to find some prefabed ones online to compare thickness, but there are not many options out there. I know there will be ones that are home built that are super thick and others that are paper thin, but just curious as to what is being used as the "norm". Discuss....

I used 3/16 cause that's what I had available... and it's WAY too thick. Why? Cause when I hit a rock with a light box it didn't budge... but the body did (a bit ;) )

Thanks for the replys. I have been toying around with the idea of building a set of these for a while. I just picked up a few new tools for the shop, so that will help aid in the fabbing of these. I am leaning towards 12 gauge for the workability of the metal and the rolling/bending to get the body lines as close as possible...b/c my rig is SO nice and straight :D (it is beat pretty well now a days)

The cost of the steel, laser cutting, and the rolling/bending is the spendy part, profit margins on them are very low. Shipping also kills the price.

;)

They are nice, but I could find $350 to spend else where on my junk.

Oh, don't get me wrong! I'm sure the price is fair! The only way I'm able to beat it for my own junk is because my labor is only worth $1.15/hr
biggrin.gif

Billy

Back