• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-stat gasket; Wet or Dry - Consensus?

desertred

NAXJA Forum User
OK, the FSM has me frustrated. I'm installing an OEM thermostat. It came with a gasket that has a bead of RTV type material on the side that faces the T-stat housing, but the other side is dry. While the FSM states that the water pump gasket should be applied without any sealant ("dry"), it does not address the T-stat.

What is the consensus as to whether the T-stat gasket should go on wet or dry? How about the OEM gasket with the RTV bead on one side?

well I installed all of my thermostats (renix engines BTW ) with rtv on the outside. of course, I installed my water pump with RTV as well :shhh:

^^^ x2

I have never used rtv on a t/stat housing,just make sure both surfaced are clean and flat give one side of the gasket a quick spray with permatex hi-tack and throw it together, maybe use rtv if it's pitted or something

I use a touch of RTV to hold the tstat in place, and a light coat on both sides of the gasket (the head side holds the thing up, the other side is for the pits that are usually in the aluminum housing.)

Do check the screws carefully - they're usually pitted as well. Replace with brass (best) or stainless (next best) - if you can't get either of those, go ahead and get carbon steel - SAE Grade 5 (won't corrode as quickly if the plating is worn through.) Coat carbon steel screws with a light coat of RTV as well - extra protection that can't hurt.

Back