• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T/C solenoid

dktool

NAXJA Forum User
What is the consensus for quality trans solenoids other than oem ?
My T/C lock goes on vacation when it heats up, I will be replacing all.

Honestly, I haven't experienced or heard any complaints about aftermarket solenoids. I'd double check their resistance before installing though.

Yeah, not exactly a topic that comes up often with the AW-4.

That said, someone on here long ago posted a link to AW-4 service manual from ATSG (Automatic Transmission Service Group), and I downloaded it at the time. According to that, the solenoids should measure 11-15 ohms when measured from the wire terminal to the mounting bracket. Any reading outside that range and the solenoid should be replaced.

HTH,

Rob

Last edited:
Back in the early 2,000s I replaced those in my XJ with some from a place in Texas that specialized in Toyotas. Our AW4 uses the same solenoids as the Toyota 340 transmission used in some of their rear wheel drive vehicles.

Here is one link. There are many sellers on eBay that advertise solenoids for the A340. I would spend my money on new ones from a reputable seller.

https://www.transmissionpartsdistributors.com/a340e-a140-a240-a244-aw4-transmission-shift-solenoid-kit-fits-85-toyota-jeep/

Yup, same solenoids as the A340. Note that link is for the pair of shift solenoids only. He'll want a kit that includes the t/c lockup solenoids too.

I just finished this job on my '98 XJ a few days ago with this kit (Link below). All went well except I did have a mounting screw problem on the t/c solenoid itself. I had to grind the mounting screw hole on that solenoid a few millimeters larger with a Dremel or the mounting screw never would have lined up with the threaded hole. The other 2 solenoids fit perfectly. All is well now, it runs fine and my P0743 code for the TC Solenoid is finally gone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-A340-...B&pageci=a13ae4fb-e9a5-45cf-a3f7-c80cc460c952

I had to grind the mounting screw hole on that solenoid a few millimeters larger with a Dremel or the mounting screw never would have lined up with the threaded hole.

We both bought from the same seller, guess it's a crap shoot regarding the holes lining up.

Interesting, I didn't notice that it was the same seller as your kit. Hopefully these solenoids last a long time, at 180k I would like to think they are the last ones my Jeep's AW4 will ever see. The ones I took out said Aisin so I'm guessing they were the originals.

Back