• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Synthetic Winch Line (Sale)

The length of that line seems kinda short. 85'?

My XRC8 came with 100' of synthetic line (not sure of the diameter) but the steel cable that normally comes on it is 94' of 21/64".....

The Warn 9500hs I had also had 100' of 5/16' cable.

I heard 100' of 3/8" is a bit tough to get on an M8000 winch which is what I have. I am replacing the 5/16" x 100' cable that came on it with this Amsteel 3/8" x 85'. I'll probably make a synthetic extension at some point if I find 85' is to short.

The length of that line seems kinda short. 85'?

My XRC8 came with 100' of synthetic line (not sure of the diameter) but the steel cable that normally comes on it is 94' of 21/64".....

The Warn 9500hs I had also had 100' of 5/16' cable.
thats what i was thinking. is whether 80' is enough? i have an extension strap but still.. 80' ??

If your running 3/8" line, 85' is what i've been told by several vendors is the norm to run otherwise you can end up packing the drum TOO full.

If you go smaller diameter (which for anyone here I would NOT recommend), you can fit more. If your really that worried just carry an extension :D

ya i have this rope and to be honest i hardly ever get through 75% of it ever... unless you have some super long pulls just carry an extension or extra tow strap and you should be fine

85 feet on my smitty for 2 years

Yeah, that Ebay deal isn't too bad.

I got my 5/16" Amsteel Blue from CustomSplice through Pirate. He had some oddball lengths and was selling them at good prices. I got 77' for $114 shipped. Yeah, it's a bit shorter, but I've never had to pull more than 50' or so (at least so far). I am not worried about the 5/16" either as it has a higher rating than the 5/16" steel cable that came on my winch.

Anyway, if anyone else is looking for a decent price on rope, it might be worth e-mailing the guy to see if they had leftover lengths They seem to have decent prices either way. Just saw that they are having a sale: http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=956988&highlight=

BUY GOOD ROPE!!!!!
i snapped my synthetic line TWICE today when i was really needing it. back to cable i go.....

BUY GOOD ROPE!!!!!
i snapped my synthetic line TWICE today when i was really needing it. back to cable i go.....

Mike, either you were doing something completely wrong as far as using the synthtic line or your synthetic line is a really sh*tty brand...

I've seen synthetic line absolutely blow away cable, as long as the synthetic line was being used properly (right thickness, and not scraping on anything while winching).

Where did the rope break? (At the spool where it was winding? Middle of the length between jeep and anchor? Or at the anchor end?)

HeepII and Truggy both have synthetic line..... the stuff that was spooled up on the winch on HeepII was pretty old, but it took some nasty pulls on Carnage. Truggy's synthetic line has done the same and additionally, was used to pull itself and a couple other rigs up the exit of Carnage. No worries.

Personally, I'd rather break a few synthetic lines when there are bystanders around than risk a cable breaking.....

oh trust me it was great to see the synthetic line just fall to the ground, almost zero recoil, but sucked cuz i slid back in the hole....

broked dead center of the pulling distance....

ill go back to synthetic when i can afford top shelf stuff, but for now i need to buy other things....

What brand was it?
13K seems pretty low for a 3/8" line. I thought it was usually 18K+.
sorry i did miss type that. it was just under 18k...

ill have to look i dont remember the company off hand. wasnt amsteel blue, which is what i think ill drop money on next go around

Mike, when you know the manufacturer, do some on-line searches and see if that brand/manufacturer is the subject of failures and how many....... it'd be good info to pass on so that no one else here makes that kind of mistake, if it's bad rope. :thumbup:

Check also to see if that rope you're using has any kind of warranty.

Back