• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Synthetic Line quality

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
So, there's a ton of different brands of line out there now.

Standard line (85' of 3/8", hook, chafe guard and heat guard) runs somewhere around $250. Of course, longer line and larger diameter line cost more. But for sake of comparison we'll stick to standard line.

Are there any major differences in line quality between, for example, Amsteel blue and Rugged Ridge line.

Are they made using the same process?

I can get an Amsteel Blue line (17,600lbs) for about $240.00

I can get Rugged Ridge line (19,300lbs), With an aluminum fairlead, for $249.99

After reading for a while, it seems to me that the Rugged Ridge line is a decent deal. Is it really that much stronger?

Honestly, I've come down to cosmetics. I like the hook that comes on the Amsteel better than the rugged ridge hook. and I like the dark blue of the Amsteel over the pantie blue of the Rugged Ridge line...

But the higher strength and the nice fairlead that comes with the Rugged Ridge line is appealing.

Do you want to buy rope from a company that exclusively makes winchline and ship deck rope with the strongest fibers available, or a company now owned by Omix Ada that makes a cheap version of every 4x4 part on the market?

www.amsteelblue.com
www.winchline.com
www.masterpull.com

Be a member of NAXJA or Pirate and you can get a discount on masterpull and amsteel blue I believe. They make winchline for the military so you know it's legit. Then spend the money to buy a high quality hawse fairlead so you don't tear up your expensive rope.

Do you want to buy rope from a company that exclusively makes winchline and ship deck rope with the strongest fibers available, or a company now owned by Omix Ada that makes a cheap version of every 4x4 part on the market?

www.amsteelblue.com
www.winchline.com
www.masterpull.com

Be a member of NAXJA or Pirate and you can get a discount on masterpull and amsteel blue I believe. They make winchline for the military so you know it's legit. Then spend the money to buy a high quality hawse fairlead so you don't tear up your expensive rope.

Those were actually already my options. I'm either buying from Masterpull or the same item from amsteelblue.com. I just haven't been able to get in touch with Masterpull in the last couple days. They must be on vacation or something.

I was just tossing around the idea of the Rugged Ridge line. I wanted some real experienced testimonial on that particular line. By reading the specs it says it's stronger than amsteel blue...

If I can get Masterpull on the phone today I'll order with them. If not, I'll order directly from Amsteel Blue.

The Amsteel Blue number is Samson's published minimum breaking strength. The average breaking strength of the same line is 19.6k.

I would not expect that the Rugged ridge line is using the minimum strength, rather they are likely reporting the average strength.

If that is true, then there is no practical difference in the tested strengths of these two lines (the Amsteel Blue being very slightly stronger). However, unless the Rugged Ridge is sourced from a reputable manufacturer (of which there are many besides Samson), I would not trust it to the same degree. The fact that they do not advertise the source suggests to me that it is made in China to a somewhat lower standard.

The Amsteel Blue number is Samson's published minimum breaking strength. The average breaking strength of the same line is 19.6k.

I would not expect that the Rugged ridge line is using the minimum strength, rather they are likely reporting the average strength.

If that is true, then there is no practical difference in the tested strengths of these two lines (the Amsteel Blue being very slightly stronger). However, unless the Rugged Ridge is sourced from a reputable manufacturer (of which there are many besides Samson), I would not trust it to the same degree. The fact that they do not advertise the source suggests to me that it is made in China to a somewhat lower standard.

Thats the answer I was looking for! ThankS!

I was thinking along the same lines of what you're saying.

I know it's the same with audio amplifiers... Nice companys like Memphis advertise their amplifiers as continuous power. While companys like Boss advertise their amplifiers as max power. You'll have a 2000 watt Memphis amp that will push 2000 watts when the same 2000 watt Boss amp does good to push 800 watts.

Thanks again. Amsteel Blue ftw.

Those were actually already my options. I'm either buying from Masterpull or the same item from amsteelblue.com. I just haven't been able to get in touch with Masterpull in the last couple days. They must be on vacation or something.

I was just tossing around the idea of the Rugged Ridge line. I wanted some real experienced testimonial on that particular line. By reading the specs it says it's stronger than amsteel blue...

If I can get Masterpull on the phone today I'll order with them. If not, I'll order directly from Amsteel Blue.

Amsteelblue.com is owned by MasterPull.

Amsteelblue.com is owned by MasterPull.

Hmm, I didn't know that. Maybe that's why he was so quick to tell me to order it from there. lol

I mean, I've got nothing against Alex at all. I just couldn't get in touch with him. He got back to me today. Apparently, he's in Europe and away from his telephone.

Yep. The way it was described to me is that AmsteelBlue.com is the lowest prices that they can go on ropes, and that is why you will never see a sale or discounts on that site, but you may see sales and discounts on the Masterpull.com site.

At the bottom of the AmsteelBlue.com site it has the following:
Amsteelblue.com is not affiliated with Samson® Rope Technologies, Inc.
Copyrights © 2010 Amsteelblue.com - Division of MASTER-PULL® LLC

it's legit simply because it's made for the military?
He's laughing at this.

Anyone who's been in the military knows that a lot of the equipment we use is top-notch. And a whole lot more of it is built to "minimum standard/minimum spec."

Back