• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sylvania Xenarc HID Sealed Beam Upgrade

The demand for the Xenarc's weren't as great as Sylvania had hoped. They also had a problem with the beam pattern having hot spots/not being completely uniform across the road surface.
Sylvania has since redesigned the optics in the 2nd generation of X6054 Xenarcs but the bad rep the first gen got did 'em in. Sylvania announced that the X6054's will be discontinued, thus the deeply discounted price. The only special order replacement item on the setup is the lens/housing assembly. Sylvania will warehouse replacements but all of the previous suppliers won't stock such a low demand item so you'll end up having to buy replacement lenses directly from Sylvania at whatever price they want to charge you.

If the price is right AND they're 2nd gen, then it's not a bad deal but I'd get some sort of rock chip protection material added to the lenses.

what is the beam spectrum, 4000K, 4300K or 6000...? mine are 6300K and are they are the perfect hue! if its anything less than 5000K, screw it and get something else.

brandon

Guys,
I'm running both Sylvania Xenarc 6054 HID headlight conversion and their 1010 HID auxilury fog lights.

I'll find and post the link to my review...

As FYI these lights have been discontinued. Finding replacemnt parts is virtually impossible. I spent upwards of an hour on the phone with Sylvania a few days ago trying to find spare parts. The kits are very nice and I haven't had any problems, but I wanted to find out what future options I would have with part replacement.

For this reason along, I wouldn't recommend them.

Kent

Here's my review from off-road.com.

There’s been some discussion of this and other kits currently offered, so here is a brief review. In short, it’s nice, but I believe there are other legal options much cheaper offering virtually the same performance.

Kit design and quality :
Sylvania’s kit is a total headlight replacement providing a DOT legal upgrade to a 4,100k HID system.

The kit is very complete, providing:
2 Beam corrected replacement fluted lens with 4,100k HID and H3 bulbs
2 HID ballasts and mounting brackets
2 Wiring harnesses to wire each lamp separately.
1 Cross over harness, used to properly incorporate high beam operation.

Component quality is extremely high right down to the packaging.

Installation :
Basically it’s very straight forward, requiring only two modifications made to the vehicle. Mount the ballasts (may requiring drilling) and merging the exiting OEM 3 prong headlight connector into the new wiring harness.

The directions call for you to cut out the existing OEM 3 prong headlight connector then attach spade type connectors to the 2 hot lines and a bullet connector to the remaining ground. These connections then merge into the new wiring harness (more on this below).

Performance:
In order to receive DOT approval, the system must provide both a standard H3 high beam, and the high beam must work separately from the HID low beam. Turning on your high beams activates the H3 in addition to your HID low beams.

This was my second headlight upgrade. I’ve provided two reviews. One for my XJ which had already been upgraded to an H4 rear reflector halogen system. The second using a co-workers stock 1990 XJ.

OEM 1990 XJ sealed beam halogen comparison.
Far wider spread pattern, considerably brighter with crisper more defined edges. This was a vast improvement of the stock sealed beams.

H4 DOT legal rear reflector comparison
The H4 system was pretty decent to begin with. It provided a very nice even spread. I had no complaint with this lighting, simply believing I’d gain considerable more by going HID.

I can’t say I gained that much beyond a very different spread patten with a slightly whiter color. The HID’s have a wider but narrower spread, with a really sharp hot spot angled to the passenger on each lens. The hot spot is caused by a clear square on the fluted len. Sylvania must have had a reason for this, but frankly I don’t like it.

Would I do it again? Probably not. I don’t think the slight gains offset the price. I believe upgrading to a good H4 is still the most cost effective way to get better DOT legal lighting.

What I would have done differently :
Cutting the existing OEM 3 prong headlight connector eliminates that ability to fall back to your original halogen system. I believe this to be a huge mistake. For numerous reasons I believe this option should be retained.

In my opinion Sylvania should have designed/provided either a 3 prong adaptor, or enhanced their wiring harness to use 3 prong male spade connections allowing simply plug-in to the existing OEM connector.

Additionally, the high beam bridge contained in the kit didn’t match the wiring harness. I had to enhance the wiring on the bridge to get the system to work properly.

XJ 6054 headlight replacement
http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/x60246054.htm

Final thoughts:

I would recommend Sylvania’s optional 1010 auxiliary HID system. It’s been outstanding! Both the spread pattern (fog) and the 5,400k light is outstanding.

http://www.sylvaniaperformanceshop....EAB5-4459-B566-8F010F520D30}&NC=1110200312597

Kent

Guys,
I checked to see if AutoBarn had the 6054 kit in stock.

Here's their response.

---
I'm sorry to inform you that the product you have inquired about is not yet manufactured for your vehicle or is unavailable at this time. Please check back with us from time to time to see if the product has become available.
---

Hope this helps,
Kent

Back