• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE on "budget" lifts

i think- the OME leafs came from the factory with a shim on them- part of the leaf pack. I'm not sure what degree they were, but they weren't very 'tall' at all.

The trick to the new transfer cases and vibes is simple. Grease and alignment. You grease that slipyoke, then you make sure the u-joint angles are within a degree or less of being opposite. At T-Case DS angles down. At pinion, DS angles up. The 8.25 equiped Automatics 97-02 had the shortest driveshafts in the rear, which makes getting the angles right much more important. Keeping that slip yoke lubricated is also very important. You can shim the crossmember, as well as the axle, depends what you need. Rustys also sells a 1" drop crossmember which does not give up ground clearance.

So, what I'm saying is: At 2" of lift, regardless of year, axle, or T-Case, you will not need a double cardan joint at the t-case (or what the poster refered to as a SYE, which is separate) to make vibes dissapear. You just need to get the angles right and not exceed the operating angle of the u-joints, which is around 5 deg.

Ron

I installed a sye at around 2-3 inches of lift. The only thing I would account for is if you plan to lift more in the future your driveshaft could become too short. So go big first hah!

MrShaft696 said:
I installed a sye at around 2-3 inches of lift. The only thing I would account for is if you plan to lift more in the future your driveshaft could become too short. So go big first hah!

The cost of buying another DS later is something I'm starting to think about...do I settle for my current 2 inch lift now or lift it further so I only have to buy one DS. Do you think if I fitted my current 2 inch lift for a DS shaft and later went to 3 or 3.5 inches that the same shaft could be used, or would it be too short?

Rod Knee said:
The cost of buying another DS later is something I'm starting to think about...do I settle for my current 2 inch lift now or lift it further so I only have to buy one DS. Do you think if I fitted my current 2 inch lift for a DS shaft and later went to 3 or 3.5 inches that the same shaft could be used, or would it be too short?

I think you would be ok with a 2" change. I mean the easiest way to tell is jack your jeep up, put jackstands on the frame rails, take the rear wheels off and drop the rear axle down, notice how the slip joint pulls apart as the axle droops. You can use that as a gauge as to where you will be safe.

Back