• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE + Driveshaft...under $100.00 (not 56k friendly)

So has anyone found a bolt on yoke at a junk yard that will work for this and if so what vehicle did it come off of? Or an OEM part number?

Seems like this might work although is is a litter higher than the other suppliers but it does tell what trannys it came off of.
GM part# SY1310-3500

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corv...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

That yoke WILL NOT work. It is made to accept u-bolts to hold the u-joint in place, so the bolt hole spacing is different. You need a 3103-27CV. I just called a local driveline shop, gave them the specs on what I needed, and he had a used one laying around. It's a 27 spline yoke for a TH350 transmission made to bolt up to a CV(double cardan) driveshaft. Call around and I'm sure you can find one cheap.

That yoke WILL NOT work. It is made to accept u-bolts to hold the u-joint in place, so the bolt hole spacing is different. You need a 3103-27CV. I just called a local driveline shop, gave them the specs on what I needed, and he had a used one laying around. It's a 27 spline yoke for a TH350 transmission made to bolt up to a CV(double cardan) driveshaft. Call around and I'm sure you can find one cheap.
Every TH350 I looked at online and in junk yards are the closed style yokes.Any idea what specific vehicles these came off of. Will the ubolt strap be too big for the doube cardan joint being the reason it wont work? The spacing in the bolt holes wont matter as long as you have the correct u-bolt unless like I said earlier that the u-bolt strap will just be too big.

Every TH350 I looked at online and in junk yards are the closed style yokes.Any idea what specific vehicles these came off of. Will the ubolt strap be too big for the doube cardan joint being the reason it wont work? The spacing in the bolt holes wont matter as long as you have the correct u-bolt unless like I said earlier that the u-bolt strap will just be too big.

The u-bolts bolt around the u-joint caps, so the spacing of the holes is closer together than the holes on the double cardan joint. You don't use a u-bolt or a strap on the double cardan joint, straight bolts go through the holes in the yoke and thread into the double cardan itself. It would be like trying to put a 5x5.5 wheel on a 5x4.5 spindle. It just won't work. No, I don't know what vehicles they came off of, have you called anywhere to see if they have anything yet?

i just finished this mod, everything went great till i started drilling the shaft!!!!!!!! 16/64 bit was it! the hardened part of the shaft will eat titaniam bits. done now, waiting till tomarrow to pick up shortened driveshaft. if i could do it again, JUST BUT THE KIT!!!!!!!!!

I ordered the yoke from powertrain on monday..payed $93. Six states quoted me something well over $100 haha the prices seem all over the place for this.

As long as the yoke comes in I'll be doing it tomorrow...along with 4" more lift :greensmok .......I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

found it cheaper....

FYI:

I have very little to add, other than I have found a similar yoke available at www.thrashdriveshaft.com, part number J1310-27CJ. You can view the specs here: http://www.thrashdriveshaft.com/trans_yokes.htm at the very bottom of the page. It's listed to fit a TH350 transmission, which other research has proved is the same spline count and diameter as the NP231.

I e-mailed to verify the price of this part, and was told the part has gone up slightly. It's now $81.69 + shipping. Depending on location, I'd imagine this could be had a bit cheaper than others have been finding it for.

Yeah I'am finding the same prices 85.00 -100.00.

Going to the savage yard tomorrow. Maybe I'll get lucky..

Nick

Buttoned everything up on the lift/driveline tonight...this works awesome! no vibes and the shaft is the perfect length for my 6" lift. Drilling the hole and tapping it out was a hassle but well worth it

I agree about drilling the hole. I went out and bought a new drill bit that was the correct size for the final hole before taping and the bit was bent. That sucked. I highly suggest buying a new set or verifing that your bits are straight and sharp before starting on this. Also plenty of cutting fluid helps.

I was amazed at the difference that this mod made in the feel of the vehicle. I thought alot of the vibes I had were from the used 35" BFG MTs that I have but, it turned out to be the shaft.

so i probably missed it some where in the thread but what are you using for the replacement drive shaft? Was it the front drive shaft? I have a 242 in an 89 and if i want to do it to that could i just get another front shaft?

The shaft that I used was one from an '90 automatic. With the NP 231 you have to make sure the U Joints are the same and that it will all fit up right.

i heard you can find the slip yoke you need on theses cars.
can anyone confirm

80-82 Ford Thunderbird
80-82 Mercury Couger
82-87 Lincoln Continental
79-80 Lincoln Versailles
84-88 Lincoln Mark VII

i heard you can find the slip yoke you need on theses cars.
can anyone confirm

80-82 Ford Thunderbird
80-82 Mercury Couger
82-87 Lincoln Continental
79-80 Lincoln Versailles
84-88 Lincoln Mark VII

Those yokes were never put on a vehicle from the factory. Ive done the research. Someone prove me wrong. Show me a picture, catalog, OEM part number? If you go to auto part websites or books and look at pictures for the yokes on the above vehicles it shows something totally different.

So i am new to this site but i saw this tread and had to comment. I have a friend that did this and he said he used the yoke off of a late eighties S10. Havent done it myself but i am sure someone will look into it!

http://www.shaftmasters.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=258

diff%20yoke.JPG

Spline Dia. and Spline Count== 1.172" 27 spline
Ctr. Line to End ============2.750"
Bearing Cap Dia.=========== 1.062"
Ground Hub Dia. =========== 1.688"
Spline Length ============= 1.062"
Counter Bore Depth ========= N/A
Dist. Bet Nibbs ============3.219"
Series===================1310

Differential Applications
Chrysler 7.25" Dodge 71/4"
Chrysler 8.25" Dodge 81/4"

Universal Joint Applications
1-0153 5-153X 1-0134
2-0785 2-3100 3-3130
3-3140

??????

Last edited:
Thanks, I am ordering one today!

http://www.shaftmasters.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=258

diff%20yoke.JPG

Series===================1310​

Universal Joint Applications
1-0153 5-153X 1-0134

2-0785 2-3100 3-3130
3-3140

??????

diff%20yoke.JPG

Series===================1310