• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

switching to led taillights

90cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
im switching my taillights to led's on my 90 xj. i got it so the taillights to work. but the turn signal/brake lights dont work. anyone that's done this swap how did u connect your wiring. also if anyone could tell me what wires are for the brakes, lights, turn signal ect just on the stock taillights. that would help also. kind of got the cart ahead of the horse and f'd my self over. any help is a appreciated

From what I understand a different flasher is required

If you're just having an issue with turn signals and hazards, you need an electronic flasher (not load dependent for cycling.) If your brake lights don't work, you've probably got other issues.

yeah go to autozone and buy an electronic flasher module. The stock electric module basically uses a circuit breaker that heats up and resets over and over and the LEDs don't draw enough current for it to work properly. FWIW the hazards use a separate module and it's electronic from the factory.

stock 4-way flasher will still work but will pulse like a strobe light, electronic is needed for turn signals, i run full led lighting front and rear, my 4 way flashers flash a zillion times a minute but i like it, mor enoticable, and my blinkers work perfect once i swapped the flasher unit to an electronic one

Got a link for the electronic flasher module? I'm doing my JCR tail lights and I have the same issue. I know it's a dumb question, but I want to make sure I'm getting the right thing...

all have to get the electronic flasher module. any clue though why my brakes wont work. i have them hooked up to a toggle switch now. but it'd be nice to just be able to hit the brakes and have them go on and off

Another thing you can do is figure out the resistance difference between the stock bulbs and the LED's and wire in a/some resistor/s

I wired mine in...here is what is happening:

When I turn the turn signal on, ALL my signal lights light up solid. Wired correctly and using an electronic flasher.

My stop lights work, my tailights come on with headlights.

I have seperate amber turn signals ONLY for the turn signal circuit and the electronic flasher did not fix my problem.

For now I am manually flashing them with the turn signal switch.

Help?

I had to wire resistors into mine to get them to work since I hooked up to the stock wiring also...I'll try to find a link to the ones I bought. That may not fix your problem (I'm not great with electrical junk) but I have a feeling you might need resistors also.

Edit: Here's where I got mine http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...spPage&Page2Disp=/tail-brake-turn.html#Table5

-scroll most of the way to the bottom, they're the load resistor kits.

Back