• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Switch to Synthetic Oil?

Dino has been used by all I know for as long as I can remember. In almost every case the engine has out lasted the rest of the car. If the engine outlast the rest of the car on dino, (to be fare I live in N Ohio and we use lots of salt here) Why would anyone want to spend any more money on Sin oil. You will never receive any payback for the extra cost.
Now for heavy trucks, towing, or any case of were the engine is subject to extreme loads/heat Sin oil may payoff.
But for the most engines used as intended or in the normal manner. Sin oil is a waste of money.
I pull a 43?? LB trailer and when I do you better believe Sin oil is in the oil pan. The rest of the time and in the other XJ dino get the job done at a better price.

Reason one, it's fairly cheap insurance for those of us who keep them till they ain't no good no more. I'm on my second engine on my 98, had over 300,000mi on it when an injector stuck open and took out the #3 cylinder. Replaced with a jasper reman.
Easier winter starts, at -5f it spins as fast on the morning startup as it does the rest of the year which is easier on the battery and the starter.

But I also use mobil-1 and K&N filters too... Mobill-1 in the AX15 and the NP231 too as well as the front diff, rear is running drydene with frictionmodifier for the auburn thats back there..
Actaully all three of our jeeps run the same thing as well as the wifes Oldsmobile. Its nice all the jeeps take the same filter and such, easier shopping....

Rich, what is drydene? I still have a trutrac and auburn and 4.10's that I never got around to installing, including four bottles of gmc friction modifier that's like four years old (does the stuff have a shelf life?!?).

====================================
Easier winter starts, at -5f it spins as fast on the morning startup as it does the rest of the year which is easier on the battery and the starter.
You right on about cold starts. But don't your makeup freeze at -5 and fall off. So you can't be going out and there for don't need the Jeep to start anyway.:)

mikeny59 said:
Rich, what is drydene? I still have a trutrac and auburn and 4.10's that I never got around to installing, including four bottles of gmc friction modifier that's like four years old (does the stuff have a shelf life?!?).

Drydene is a brand of lubricant, more on the commercial side, comes in 5 gallon cans like spackle. I think if it's still stinky it's still good :D :D :D

badron said:
You right on about cold starts. But don't your makeup freeze at -5 and fall off. So you can't be going out and there for don't need the Jeep to start anyway.:)

Mobil-1 grease takes care of that problem and it's red to start with :D

Rich, thanks

Just an update if anyone is interested......

I just changed the oil again. It was weeping just a bit so I added 4 quarts of Valvoline 5W-30 and 2 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30.

Not a drop leaking now so this is the blend I'll stick with in the future for this rig.

Jay in MA

Jay Welch said:
..........Right after I changed the oil it started to drip from the rear main seal. I drained out 3 quarts of the synthetic and added 3 quarts of dino oil. The oil leak stopped for the most part. Next change will receive 2 quarts synthetic and 4 quarts dino.....if it still weeps it will go back to all dino.

MogifiedXJ said:
x2

Do not put syn in your transmission unless it was made for it. Period. Once you start using syn in your engine I've always heard that you're not supposed to go back to regular oil either. I run mobil 1 in my yota and love the stuff...I still change it every 3000 miles and it's the same color as the day I poured it in. My father runs shaffer oil in his work trucks and likes it. It's a parrafin wax based oil, other than that I don't know much about it though other than the fact it was designed for use in the big rig industry.

I've heard this too but I'm here to tell you it's a bunch of crap and is totally NOT TRUE!!!!

Think about it, if it was true, why would they have synthetic blends, which is basically a mixture of syn oil and conventional oil.

Food for thought!!!!!!

keep0njeepin0n said:
I've heard this too but I'm here to tell you it's a bunch of crap and is totally NOT TRUE!!!!

Think about it, if it was true, why would they have synthetic blends, which is basically a mixture of syn oil and conventional oil.

Food for thought!!!!!!

Owners on here who have switched to synthetic oil in the AW4's have had mixed results,
worse case is they burn up in less than a 1000 miles, best case is the tranny works great. I've just gotten my first automatic in the form of a 97ZJ 4.0 Laredo, did the oil change 2nd day home with Mobil-1, did both diffs with Valvoline syn blend 140 gear oil, have not done the TC or the tranny yet but that coming first warm and dry driveway day I get time on the TC. The tranny I am not sure about, the fluid smells and looks OK and the tranny works well so far, it's a crap shoot IMO on that. I could do it with no hesitation IF I had the cash to put a reman in if it went tits up but as I don't and the holidays are coming up I'll leave well enough alone for now on that one. Besides I'm pulling the D35 and putting a D44 in there this spring so my mod money is kinda spoken for right now :D :D :D

RichP said:
Owners on here who have switched to synthetic oil in the AW4's have had mixed results,
worse case is they burn up in less than a 1000 miles, best case is the tranny works great. I've just gotten my first automatic in the form of a 97ZJ 4.0 Laredo, did the oil change 2nd day home with Mobil-1, did both diffs with Valvoline syn blend 140 gear oil, have not done the TC or the tranny yet but that coming first warm and dry driveway day I get time on the TC. The tranny I am not sure about, the fluid smells and looks OK and the tranny works well so far, it's a crap shoot IMO on that. I could do it with no hesitation IF I had the cash to put a reman in if it went tits up but as I don't and the holidays are coming up I'll leave well enough alone for now on that one. Besides I'm pulling the D35 and putting a D44 in there this spring so my mod money is kinda spoken for right now :D :D :D

The people who have had the problems were the ones with trannies that were not cared for properly in the first place. A bad PO or lack of the correct maintence is the real culprit here. When the switch occurs the synthetic cleans out the crap that was already in there. That now freed up garbage is what creates the problem.

But as a loyal synthetic user, you already know that.

BTW, until I started selling AMSOIL I ran Mobil 1 in my junk also. All the T-cases of my herd still have Mobil 1 ATF in them. Never any problems whatsoever.

badron said:
Why would anyone want to spend any more money on Sin oil. You will never receive any payback for the extra cost.
The improved fuel mileage easily pays the difference in the cost of the oil. Measure it for yourself.

Back