• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bar links

Wow, you look like you're pushing those things to the absolute limit - are those JKS2000's? How much lift?

Mine are more or less the same length on each side, maybe up to 1 turn's difference (from fully collapsed I backed the first side out 11 or 12 turns - on the 2nd one I just adjusted it to fit easily, which was almost exactly the same length).

I've learned to accept that these cars are not *perfectly* symmetrical in every regard (especially now that I know mine has questionable history), so this is how I made mine:
  1. Made a square bent piece out of scrap steel to visualize everything. This was ultimately useless and thrown away.
  2. Made one side, hammering the metal at an angle (~60 degrees) to ensure it dropped down and toward the front of the car. I then drilled the chassis-side mounting hole and attached it to the chassis - from here, I center punched where I wanted the link to mount. Drilled it out, installed the post, and verified it worked.
  3. Took the first bracket off the car and eyeballed a mirrored copy (same angle, but in the other direction since it was for the other side of the car). Got its chassis-side hole drilled and installed it. With the other side of the sway bar stored, I center punched where the post needed to go, removed it, and drilled it.
My brain is fried so I know the above list is a little hard to follow. Bottom line: do one side at a time. Once the first side is mocked up and fitted, make the other side to work with that particular scenario.

On my 97, with 3.5 inch lift, stock offset wheels and 31 10.50 tires, the tires contact the pins when the suspension articulates while the vehicle is steered hard right or left.... Is there a mounting location for the pin from JKS that avoids this? My Jeep has the OEM front skidplate.

After knocking the JKS pins off by tire contact, I just use zip ties to secure the disconnects when on the 4x4 trails.

Back