• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swapping out my np207

You need to find t-cases that will bolt up to your turbo 350. Or if you can find a tranny/t-case from an S-10 or fullsize. Which will probably be a 700R4 or a 46LE

Yea need more info. If it is the stock jeep stuff then you can use a 231J. Is there a chevy motor swap going on? If so you could maybe use a 231c.

well i have decided to go with the 4.3 and 350 turbo tranny, i figured that where ever i pull the tranny im gonna take the transfer case so i know for sure that the transfer case and tranny will go good

so far everything on the jeep is stock, except the wheels, its an 1985 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer. i have already stripped the interior, literally there's no dash just firewall.

Stay away from the trucks with the push button 4WD or the Olds Bravada version unless you want a headache. I'd suggest a 88 or newer s-series truck or look at the 1500 series trucks from 88-91 as they had a pretty reliable setup with the 4.3 auto and I believe a 231C. Getting the TH350 tranny is going to be difficult. Most either had a 5 speed or a 700R4 or the electronic version of the 700R4, not sure what it was called at the moment. Try to get a 4.3 at least with throttle body fuel injection. This would give you the full roller cam that has made this motor last so long. Also the throttle body F.I. was a pretty basic system with not much to it. The Vortech system was also pretty decent, but the fuel pressure regulator was in the intake manifold and a problem unless it was replaced with a Bosch unit. Vortech did net you some more low end grunt and some horsepower though.

Last edited:
What mounts are you going to use? The ones Advanced Adapters sells requires a 3" lift for steering linkage clearance so I hope you're ready for that. What are you going to do for a cross member? How are you going to get the speedometer to read correctly? What radiator are you gong to use? Is the factory one going to be large enough to meet the cooling needs of the new engine? What are you going to do for driveshafts? Answer all of these questions BEFORE you start the swap and it will be cake.

im not gonna use this for the road, i am gonna lift the jeep, i might get the 700r. there is a member on here who installed the turbo tranny with some other v6, cant remember which one, but it wasnt the 4.0, and if i did get the 4.0 i would have to make room for it, because of he way my 85 was built under the hood. he had to cut the driveshaft, so i do know that, as for the mounts im gonna take them directly from the donor vehicle, ima get a bigger radiator and two fans to help keep it cool the factory one will work but i will run hotter than usual, um what other questions do i have, im not even worried about a speedometer, just tach, fuel, and temperature.
dont foget guys, im turning this into a paintball tank, maybe road worthy maybe not. and as for the transfer case ima try to get the one already on it the donor vehicle,
i appreciate the info "jeepm@n" i have a friend that said that the trottle body would work better for me with what im doing to with the jeep, im still working on trying to figure out my trasfer case deal, im having issues i dont know whether its my transfer case of something else going on, i have been talking on other threads about it, but i do know with the increase in power i am definatley changing out my transfer case, i just odnt know if i have to do the same on all the lines of the vacuum pump or what,

thanks guys,
ill keep you posted on the swap,

advance adapters makes an adapter to bolt the trubo 350 to a 207 case. i own one bolted to a s-10 207. cheaper that way. good luck keeping a v-8 cool.... i tried. worked great on the road but would not stay cool offroad.

if you build your own engine mounts, you can use stock driveshafts. jeep sending units for the gauges will also work in the sbc motor. it is a vey time consuming swap and can be very expensive if you dont have good fab skills. good luck!

Back