• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swaping a 87 4.0 for 01 4.0

00jeepster

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1987 xj that has 217 thousand miles and the motor is starting to knock a little bit. And i have a whole drive train out of a wrecked 2001 xj. Is it possible to swap everything like the transmission, transfer Case and enegine into the 87?

yes it is. im pretty sure you have to swap the electrical too. as well as the fuel pump. I swapped a 97 motor into an 87 and swapped all of the electrical, fuel pump/tank, lights, and dash. it can be done but it takes alot of time and you will always have problems. nothing ever goes the way it should. but good luck with everything.

I have a 1987 xj that has 217 thousand miles and the motor is starting to knock a little bit. And i have a whole drive train out of a wrecked 2001 xj. Is it possible to swap everything like the transmission, transfer Case and enegine into the 87?

The easiest job would be to just swap the short block from the 2001 into the 87. The 2001 4.0L has the COP/DIS ignition setup, which RENIX won't recognise. Also, the speed sensor in the transmission is different (but will probably swap, if you tear the tailshaft housing apart.)

The 87 has a knock sensor that the 2001 does not, but the boss for this (unmachined) is probably still down on the driver's side oil sump rail, just drill and tap. Don't go through - a blind hole will work and won't leak.

woah, i would skip the 00-01 4.0, cyl heads are bad. get like a 97-99ish

If he's got a knock, it's not in the head - it's in the short block. A clatter could go either way - either a valve clatter, rocker pivot wants tightening, or a lifter going silly.

The short block will swap out without too much trouble, and he'd keep his RENIX head and top end. That takes care of the compatibility issues (RENIX top end to OBD-II head) and the head casting issues (RENIX heads last forever.)

Which is why I said what I did.:wave1:

Back