• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swamp Lake run Aug 6-8.....directions and info

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Here are directions to where we'll be camping Thurs night. We camp at Dinkey Creek, but not in the campground, so there are no fees. We'll leave for the trail from our camp area at 8:30 on Friday morning. We'll run half the trail on Fri and we usually get to Grouse Lake by early to mid afternoon. We'll leave Grouse Lake mid morning on Sunday and finish the trail. There will be a pot luck dinner on Sat night.

Here's directions: Take Hwy 168 from Fresno east about an hour to Shaver Lake. As you are coming into the town of Shaver Lake make a right turn onto Dinkey Creek Rd, where there is a sign saying Wishon and Courtright Reservoirs. Go about 12-15 miles on Dinkey Creek Rd and look for another sign saying Wishon and Courtright Reservoirs, and make a right turn at the sign onto McKinley Grove Rd. You'll immediately cross the bridge over Dinkey Creek then go about a 1/4 mile and you'll see two roads that go to the left, one cuts back sharply and goes to Camp Fresno, and the other one is 10S36, make a left turn onto 10S36 and immediately turn into the trees on the right, which will be our camp.

The best place to gas up, if you're not towing, is in Prather at the bottom of the big grade going up to Shaver, or at the station in Shaver Lake. There is gas at the Dinkey Creek store but it's expensive. There are showers at the Dinkey Creek store, a little cafe, and ice. You can top off your ice in the morning if you need to. We could use some firewood at camp Thurs evening, and it never hurts to have some firewood at Grouse Lake since the firewood can be scarce from regular use. There is a decent outhouse at the camp at Grouse Lake.

Should be a good time, as always. :cheers:

What do you guys usually do on Saturday? Fishing? Hiking? Short trails to run? Hang out, relax, and do nothing at all? Don't want to be unprepared and end up being the only one sitting there twiddling my thumbs while everyone else is fishing or what not. Thanks.

What do you guys usually do on Saturday? Fishing? Hiking? Short trails to run? Hang out, relax, and do nothing at all? Don't want to be unprepared and end up being the only one sitting there twiddling my thumbs while everyone else is fishing or what not. Thanks.

A little bit of everything you typed. Grouse Lake is one of my all time favorite camping spots. Just a little over 9000' elevation.

Sorry to say I'm going to miss this year.

You can hang out and do nothing:
DSC_0129.jpg

Boating:
SwampBoat.jpg

Have a few cold ones:
DSC_0153.jpg

Hike up to the ridge between Swamp and Grouse:
SF07_0255.jpg

Hike up to some of the higher spots:
DSC_0376.jpg

Hike to Little Dolores (sp?) lake:
SL08_0386.jpg

Are you into geocaching there is a few different GPS stash to find and even a NAXJA cache:
SL08_0468.jpg

Look like Capt. Morgain as you are fishing:
SL08_0426.jpg

Take photos of a dog:
DSC_0551.jpg

Try to get this running again:
Jesmoter.jpg

Go for a drive:
SF07_0380.jpg

I still like to just sit around and do nothing:
DSC_0148.jpg

I will not be able to leave until Friday morning. Anyone else in the same boat and want to meet up? I have never been there but have a gps track to follow.

I would like to be at the trail no later than 10.

Josh

I will not be able to leave until Friday morning. Anyone else in the same boat and want to meet up? I have never been there but have a gps track to follow.

Josh

One of the guys from Bakersfield is going up Friday morning, you guys can probably hook up. He's never been there either, and he was wondering if anyone else would be driving up Fri morning. Shoot me your e-mail addy and phone number and I'll pass it along to him.

I can't make this one :-( and I am REALLY bummed!!!! I have to take too much time off of work as it is for my buddy's wedding and so on.

Have a great time folks!!!!!

Josh

Josh, I sent you a PM with my number, I want to go and I have never been, so I'm looking for someone to follow down.

That looks like a bad dog! It looks like it will run away if you take it off the leash!

Lost on me at the time -
Hey, man, if my XXXXing ex-wife asked me to take care of her XXXXing dog while she and her boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go XXXX herself. Why can't she board it?

Quote:
Hey, man, if my XXXXing ex-wife asked me to take care of her XXXXing dog while she and her boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go XXXX herself. Why can't she board it?

Because it's an xxxxing show dog with xxxing papers.

Camp is in the middle of the loop that we do when we run the trail. We haven't decided yet which way we'll run it. See you soon.

Camp is in the middle of the loop that we do when we run the trail. We haven't decided yet which way we'll run it. See you soon.

Deja Vu.
I swear this sounds like some 6-7 years ago. Just thought I'd pop my head in here and say hi. Hey brother Richard. How Ya Doin. Tell the guys to keep them on all fours. Of course that's boring for most of you so just have fun.
Come up to Arizona High Country sometime and have some fun. I'll put you up for a few days and show you some fun stuff up here.
PM me and I'll give you my email. cell phone is still the same.
Adios.
GRNT:shocked:

Deja Vu.
I swear this sounds like some 6-7 years ago. Just thought I'd pop my head in here and say hi. Hey brother Richard. How Ya Doin. Tell the guys to keep them on all fours. Of course that's boring for most of you so just have fun.
Come up to Arizona High Country sometime and have some fun. I'll put you up for a few days and show you some fun stuff up here.
PM me and I'll give you my email. cell phone is still the same.
Adios.
GRNT:shocked:

Holy hell, a blast from the past!
Hi Mil! :wave1:

Som' bitch. Good to hear from you, Mil. We miss you.

If you guys ever decide to come back over to AZ for a run in Black Canyon City or Florence area, let me know. I'll come down and cook for you for a ride.
I've gotten pretty good at the cooking or I should say western meals.
By the way. Bret just picked up an 89 XJ that his mother in law gave him. Clean and already started the mods on it. Not going to go hard core at all but family and some regular difficult stuff. Not Hammer stuff.
Miss having fun with you also. Let me know if you do come this way. You guys stay in touch with Rick in Phoenix?

Back