• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Surfing in Baja California

If you take some girly mags along with you and give them to the kids working the checkpoints it usually makes the inspection process go alot quicker and smoother.

I went through the check point at Santo Tomas a bunch of times while prerunning the 500 this year. When I went through on the bikes they pulled us out of line and started asking questions. They were just bored and curious and wanted to know about the race and where were had been while out prerunning. When we left they all wanted us to pull wheelies down the highway!:laugh3::thumbup:

If you saw some of the security briefings I have seen related to Mexico, you probably would think twice or three times about going down there. You may be lucky several times in a row but the violence and lawlessness can strike anywhere. Too many people are chosen at random to be robbed, roughed up and sometimes much worse. All I am saying is think carefully about your plans and don't make yourself an easy victim.

If you saw some of the security briefings I have seen related to Mexico, you probably would think twice or three times about going down there. You may be lucky several times in a row but the violence and lawlessness can strike anywhere. Too many people are chosen at random to be robbed, roughed up and sometimes much worse. All I am saying is think carefully about your plans and don't make yourself an easy victim.

Thats what im saying, im not going by the TV alone, my family lives there and they tell me its bad. My grandpa nearly shit bricks when a guy with a fully automatic unloaded right in front of him. My other Grandpa tells me its XXXXed up and people steal shit for no reason. Maybe its cause they are in Tijuana but still, i dont want to get caught up in a effing drug war shoot out.
If you take some girly mags along with you and give them to the kids working the checkpoints it usually makes the inspection process go alot quicker and smoother.

WTF??? thats a good one... i think... :p

:laugh::rof::laugh::rof: Ahhhh.... funny $Hit !!!

As to listening to the media... I don't I haven't been getting my info. from them... while it might not be as bad as portrayed it does seem to be worse then it has in the past...
I really miss BAJA... I agree that once out of the say 100 mile south of the border zone you can relax a bit...
I think if I was to go it'd be with a group of 3 to 5 vehicles a 4 day trip... couple nights of camping then the last night in the hotel and dash for the border early the next day...
I need to get my passport...

Curt

Still not convinced... ill wait thanks...

and yes im mexican, but whats that got to do with it? IM a POCHO, thats even worse.

Looks like a nice trip. Great use of the XJ!

Baja is fun, and I'd like to go back, but it's too unsettling for me right now and I have plenty of other places to go. Staying in an RV park on the beach in San Felipe and running the desert and mountain canyons in the area would be a great trip, and take a day run to Mike's Sky Ranch. Had a blast the last time and would like to do it again......some day.

Looks like a nice trip. Great use of the XJ!

Baja is fun, and I'd like to go back, but it's too unsettling for me right now and I have plenty of other places to go. Staying in an RV park on the beach in San Felipe and running the desert and mountain canyons in the area would be a great trip, and take a day run to Mike's Sky Ranch. Had a blast the last time and would like to do it again......some day.
Well, if you decide to do that trip some time in the future, let me know! Like I said, with the right bunch of folks, at least the risk would be minimized...and I speaka da Espanyol pretty good for a white chick. Enough so that those who are even remotely sane appreciate my efforts, at least.

And a few boxes of 22 L.R. BUT !!! getting caught with ammo now would carry a much worse consequence... I usually hand out a few sodas or waters and you're golden... stickers too... A few years ago we drove allll the way to East Cape and were stopped... 12 or 14 times each direction with no issues.

As Carol said the right small sized group would be O.K. I try to camp WAY away from the heavily traveled routes... keep travel to the daylight hours (except for chasing during a race) and try to not draw attention to myself...

Curt

yea, as for all the big concerns...

I didn't wash it for a month. We had 5 surfboards on top and were full of gringos who could speak minimal spanish between the 5 of us to form a semi coherent sentence...they knew we weren't causing a ruckus.

We travelled in daylight and when we parked, it was on main thoroughfares in town where you wouldn't jack stuff, plus we bought beers in the bar that we parked in front of so they'd hopefully watch our stuff anticipating our return for more beers.

All in all, we plan to head back down with 1-2 more vehicles in August either to a beach house in Ensenada for basecamp or to Baja Malibu again.

Hi friends i just want to say you that Surfboard is very best for the diving in the deep pcean water and also for the riding but this si not a easy to ride and dive on sufboard becaue you have need for more experience to ride and dive on surfboard ..........

My parents go to Mazatlan 2-3 times a year since before i was born. Haven't been kidnapped or shot yet. It's just like anywhere else, shit happens now and then but just stay away from trouble and you'll stay outta trouble.

Been down all the way around 3 times with short trips in between! San Felipe, Bahia Los Angeles, Santa Rosalia where Eiffel the designer of the Eiffel tower in Paris designed a steel structure church, Mulege, Bahia Conception, Loretto,La Paz, Los Barriles, San Jose, surfed San Lucas, surfed Todos Santos, Bahia Magdalena, Guerrero Negro, San Fransiquito, use to have a trailer at Estero Beach in Ensenada. I would not go today even speaking fluent spanish as I do. It's just not worth the risk. I have flown down to Cabo just last summer but I would not drive down again and I didn't leave the all inclusive for anything. That's just my experience and all I've heard like having rigs and toy box trailers taken at gun point on the TOLL road even. Baja's time has come and gone for me!

Back