• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

super charger?

Well, I know that ALOT of mustang guys use this 'charger in full-on racing and on the street, soooo, it can't be all bad. I am going to see about more info. and maybe sign up for one.

As for me, I am already swapping parts, and am going to use a mega-squirt comp., which will support this, and turbo, n20, alcohol, etc. so Yeah, I WANT ONE, and momma says I can get one for christmas. neh,neh,neh (LOL)

You may need a bigger or better radiator than stock seeming that superchargers produce more heat

Good point. I guess I should go ahead swap another tarus radiator on to this one, also. Of course, you realise, this means I am goning to have to figure out the fan thing again, right? Oh, well.

Hopefully, the vacumn issuse is already covered in the instruction manual.

ren said:
As for me, I am already swapping parts, and am going to use a mega-squirt comp., which will support this, and turbo, n20, alcohol, etc. so Yeah, I WANT ONE, and momma says I can get one for christmas. neh,neh,neh (LOL)

Megasquirtin huh? I just got my board and am in the process of throwing it together. I'm going the MS-II way. I'll share any tips and tricks I find out when I program mine up.!!!

Centrifigal supercharges are as good as any. It all depends on what you want. Centrifigal builds more boost with more RPM. A roots style builds boost more like a turbo.
Superchargers do generate more heat, but it is more to the air intake charge than to the overall running tempurature. This adds to the tendency to detinate. Detination is a big distroyer of SC motors.
There are many things to consider when you run a SC. For beginners:
How are you going to manager your motor? Stock comp vs Aftermarket if available.
Retard timing(BTM, Computer , Chip)
more fuel(bigger injectors vs fmu)

It a big downward spiral into the money pit.
How do I know?
92 mustang GT with 14lbs P1SC procharger though a 2 core intercooler running off the factory computer with a tweecer(Didn't like the BTM. Cost me a couple sets of Headgaskets). 42lbs injectors(the FMU made me nervous. No need for 90+psi of fuel pressure) GT40 heads and intake with trick flow stage 1 cam and 1.7 rr. It's a pain in the ass to keep tuned, but when it's right, IT'S RIGHT. I also ended up putting a Wide band O2 setup on it. I just couldn't take guessing at how the air/fuel ratio was.

Most kits will get you going, but how safely and how long your motor will live is what you should be looking at.

See, I told you mustangers run them!

Powerdyne is a good head unit as long as you don't overspin them. They have ceramic bearings which means no oil. It also means that it doesn't raise the air charge so much. They have an internal belt, but if you break it there is a kevlar replacement you can buy and if you are mechanically inclined at all you can change it yourself.

I have a buddy with a 95 mustang running a powerdyne at 11 psi that has around 100k on the car since the blower went on. He has however began to overspin his blower and keeps his fingers crossed every time he does.

Keep in mind this isn't a low end torque blower it is an upper rpm horsepower blower.

It looks pretty cool it needs an IC though. I might have to look into this some.

we have a buddy here thats been running an eaton blower on his xj for years now..... they all work on the same idea, so there wouldnt be any difference between brands. it works great and gives him some eye candy too

WTF? that looks like a good ol powerdyne supercharger but labeled B&M... im soo confused....

Blowers are always fun, it would be very interesting to see the real world results of it as well has how much of a pain in the ass to tune.

Chris

even if the sensors are before the charger, vaccume can be helped. i dont know what they're called, but a buddy of mine is running a supercharged suburban and had vaccume issues. he's got this thing that drag racers use that creates an artifical vaccume. pretty hot stuff. but i think the best parts of this supercharger is the fact that you wont have to cut your hood. maybe someone could fab up a way to put it on the power steering side and keep the a/c? who knows. i'd definately buy it.

ROOTS(eaton style) BLOWERS AND CENTRIFIGAL BLOWER ARE DIFFERENT. They make power in different places in the RPM range by different means.

If you stay with 6-8lbs of boost you should do fine without an intercooler/after cooler.

The only reason you should have vacuum problems is if you have a lot of blowby(then the block will pressurize. The PVC vavle should close if pressure is applied. Most people that run vaccum pumps do so to keep the brake buster in vacuum at idle because hugh cams produce very little vacuum at idle. The XJ shouldn't have a problem.

As for the block pressurizing, you can either cap the hose that runs to the PVC from the intake and rig up a vent to atmosphere setup. Or rig up a fancy system with good (better PVC valve) one way valve. If you vent to atmosphere you will get the argument that you will be sucking unmetered or unaccounted air in from the crankcase(the reverse of blow-by) This arguement doesn't hold water with me.

I've never done much under the hood of my xj except chage oil and airfilter. Can anyone tell me if they are Speed Density or Mass Air.

I need some more power for pulling and like the roots style for that.
Looking to try a eaton M90. Gathering the parts now.Looking for 6-8 psi.
Injector size seems to be in the 24-30 pound range. Does the stock fuel system flow enough to feed either injector?

About the sensor..http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/MAP_adjuster.html . I figured I've have to thisa mod and then a os sensor to tune for mixture?

Any SC tips would be appriected, this is not a kit.. and my first venture into boost. Figure I have no issues tearing up an old jeep. but my next project would be differant $$$.

Back