• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sunroof, moonroof....?

98 classic the previous owner had the sunroof installed

I`ll hsve to take a couple pics of mine,I keep forgetting.....all I know is that its after market,it works,it leaks,the shade rattles like hell,and it says SkyTop on it.

I have a full power aftermarket one installed on mine. It was on the jeep when I bought it, and since it came from the dealer auction I don't really know how long its been on there for, the Jeep is a 98, and It doesn't leak a drop. The shade is missing, but luckily the glass is tinted dark enough that its not a big deal. The manufacturer is Westmont, out of Germany, which I researched has been bought out by another sunroof company that designs sunroofs for bmws and mercedes, It's great to have, I usually find that I just tilt the back up rather than open it all the way, the wind gets old as does the sun shining directly on the top of your head if its right above you. I will post pics tomorrow.

Michaelarchangelo said:
Hmm, I have a 98 that also came with a sunroof (and the shade is missing also). I will have to get pics of it/.

My 99 has a sunroof also but has no sliding shade so it's always bright. Looks factory but I can't tell for sure. No leaks but it makes a lot of noise at 80mph.

DSC00898.jpg

My 89 Limited has the factory sunroof. Even still has the nice leather bag to store it in when removed. When I got the Jeep, the previous owner had it all siliconed shut but I wanted it to open. So I got the factory seals and it hasn't leaked yet. I love it.

ZgreatJ said:
My 89 Limited has the factory sunroof. Even still has the nice leather bag to store it in when removed. When I got the Jeep, the previous owner had it all siliconed shut but I wanted it to open. So I got the factory seals and it hasn't leaked yet. I love it.

Sorry to dig up a week old post.....I just bought a '91 Limited and it has the factory sunroof. It leaks like a mofo. I was just wondering where is the best place to get the seals for it. I called the dealer and they wanted something like $1500 for the kit. I don't know if the was the whole sunroof kit or just the seals. There must be some place cheaper!!!

when I bought my jeep 7 years ago it had a factory roll crank sun roof in it that leaked badly. I had a over sized pop up sun roof put in and now it is about 6 and a half years later and I have had no problems with it. Plus it has been through alot of mud and rocks at paragon park and other little pits I could find. Here is a pic from paragon in oct of 06.

click on the pic for a bigger view, plus I have had no problems with flexing it.

My sunroof is power so I don't know how easy it would be to replace it with a maual pop up. The previous owner put black silicone around it but it is still leaking. I think that i'll just check the web for a seal.

Does it need a seal or is the tray drains clogged? Might be something to look into. Mine leaked REALLY bad and since I blew out the tray drains it hasnt leaked.

my 98 has a tinted power sunroof, tilt and open. From what I have seen its factory, or at least very common for xj's. Anyways, it works great and never leaked a bit. Its noisey when raining at speed....sounds like water running. I make sure to take care of the seals and grease the track.

Back