• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

suggestions for new radiator (upgrade?)

I did this complete set up the other day and my needle has not gone over 210 or near close to it in the last week and the weather here is about in the triple digits. I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone having cooling problems with about $215 cash to spend total.

1. Proaliance Copper/Brass HEAT BUSTER Radiator $168
www.rockauto.com

2. 1997 ZJ with 4.0 and NON-MAX COOLING fan clutch $35
AutoZone

3. Balanced Thermostat by Mr. Gasket 195 degree's $12
Autozone

I did this swap last week and my rig runs like a champ. I don't mind the extra noise from the fan clutch and the radiator is amazing. Also, don't forget to replace your hoses and radiator cap, as well as flush your coolant system and use new coolant.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=996694

i just bit the bullet and bought the radiator that (jeepme) recomended ttp://www.alumrad.com/dblpass.html and btw it was $225 shipped to my door

After reading this thread it seems like some people aren't so pleased with the CSF 3-row that they don't make anymore.

Here is a secret place I have been getting all of my radiators from...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...Q5fAccessories

It is an all aluminum radiator that is as close to a BeCool as you can get, but at a third of the price. You have to call them to get an XJ radiator that is a direct bolt in replacement, and they will ship one out to you for under $200. Myself and 3 other friends are running these and they are by far the best cooling upgrade I have done. I have a hard time getting my Cherokee to even hit the thermostat. I can run 190 all day with the AC on and in 100 degrees plus weather. The cons are they are China made and the plastic plugs leak. If you replace the plastic plugs with brass you will be good to go. I have been running mine for a year and would not consider another radiator.

Haven't seen any other complaints besides the bent filler cap.

On both of my CSF radiators the lip of the filler cap elbow (whatever it is called) were bent slightly but that was easily fixed with pliers...Not sure how it bent though because there is padding on either side. Odd.

Haven't seen any other complaints besides the bent filler cap.

On both of my CSF radiators the lip of the filler cap elbow (whatever it is called) were bent slightly but that was easily fixed with pliers...Not sure how it bent though because there is padding on either side. Odd.

My CSF filler elbow was slightly bent too as well.. I bent it back up a little bit and moved on. So far it works great.

After reading this thread it seems like some people aren't so pleased with the CSF 3-row that they don't make anymore.

In my case most of the problem was a sticky stant thermostat.....put a MR gasket stat in there and things are alot better.
The only problem I have now is my dual electric fans are having a hard time forcing air through the cores(common on three cores)with the old stocker I would turn the fans on at 210 and it would cool it right down to around 200.Now with the three row I turn them on at 210 and the temp stays there and doesnt go below that.
I think this is the main reason people gripe about three row rads...it takes alot of cfm to force the air through them.

I just got the prolient one you were talking about for 225 from Advanced Auto. It's 3 core with copper and brass construction. It should work fine if your worried about the aluminum and plastic ones.

Did you take a close look at it to make sure it had 3 rows? I tried to buy that same one yesterday, and it was 1.5" wide core, but it was really only 2 rows, just wider rows.

Hrm, i have a CSF 3 row, and man, does it cool, runs around 200 in stop and go, but fan clutch hits it... I have all new motor mounts, new everything for that matter, and now I need to warranty the radiator, and have an event in 3 days... It installed easily and no problems other then one tranny input was a bit off. Any advice on how to keep the fan clutch out of it? I pulled it forward as far as I could without remounting it. Thanks Ed

i just bit the bullet and bought the radiator that (jeepme) recomended ttp://www.alumrad.com/dblpass.html and btw it was $225 shipped to my door

You will love it. I was sitting in LOTS of traffic last week when it was about 95 deg out and it never went past 200, and I was sitting for about an hour. The electric fan never had to come on.

Last edited:
Hrm, i have a CSF 3 row, and man, does it cool, runs around 200 in stop and go, but fan clutch hits it... I have all new motor mounts, new everything for that matter, and now I need to warranty the radiator, and have an event in 3 days... It installed easily and no problems other then one tranny input was a bit off. Any advice on how to keep the fan clutch out of it? I pulled it forward as far as I could without remounting it. Thanks Ed

What fan clutch are you using? I was using the dumb Hayden clutch that used the thermal tabs and it put a hole in it....they warrantied it no problem....after that I switched to e-fans, that's an alternative! Although maybe the lower profile OEM fan clutch would be another solution, not sure really.

Anybody used are heard of these folks? Sweet looking products.......
I use their radiator and triple threat fan kit. Outstanding products at a great price. The only issue I had is I needed another fitting to connect the tranny cooler line because the stock fitting didn't fit. They got a new one to me for free and very quickly. Also I opted to use rubber disks I made from a thin mouse pad to cushion the mounting areas because it allowed me to mount the fans closer to the radiator for slightly improved air flow.

I am quite happy with my new 3 row CSF, brass/copper radiator for radiator barn dot com. My dash gauge is holding the first white line just above 100 F now on my 87, on a 100 F day, at idle with AC on.

your running at ~110F?

No, the dash gauge is not linear, nor well calibrated. The first white line past 100 F is about 160 F. I am getting 140 to 170 F out of the radiator (varies with engine rpm) and 180 to 200 F out of the engine thermostat housing. Temp rise through the engine rear to front is about 30 F.

Is there something special about the "CFS" on Radiator Barn? I checked out their site and searched for my '98 XJ and it came up with 3 options, 2-Row, HD 3-Row, & an OEM Style.

OPTION 2: HEAVY DUTY THREE ROW - $167.77 Shipped

Is this the same one everyone is referring to?

Back