• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suggest a trail

Vince

NAXJA Forum User
DrMoab has kindly submitted a suggested trail list. If there is a trail that you think we should do this year or have a recommendation for changes the days, let us know here.

Tuesday. October 6th
Easy: Onion Creek
Med: Fins & Things
Hard: Steel Bender

Wednesday. October 7th
Easy: Shafer Trail
Med: Top of the World
Med: Dome Plateau
Hard: Flat Iron Mesa

Thursday. October 8th
Easy: Bull Canyon, Long Canyon
Med: Poison Spider Mesa
Hard: Hells Revenge
Hard: Pritchett Canyon.

Friday. October 9th
Easy: Secret Spire, Dellenbaugh Tunnel
Easy: Mineral Point, Long Canyon
Med: Seven Mile Rim
Hard: Moab Rim
Hard: Cliff Hanger

Saturday. October 10th
Easy: Chicken Corners
Med: Strike Ravine
Hard: Golden Spike
Hard: Kane Creek

I am proposing moving Strike Ravine to another day for purely selfish reasons. I want to drive Golden Spike this year and lead Strike Ravine.

My suggestion for one of the 'Easy' days is a Ranger led hike in Fiery Furnace combined with driving to Tower Arch, Eye of the Whale arch and the dinosaur trackway on Willow Springs Rd.

Onion Creek is only a two hour duration with Fisher Towers. I think it needs something extra like Rose Garden Hill but that would make it a Medium or Hard. Maybe Rose Garden should be tagged on to the end of Top of The World?

We have had Elephant Hill on the list the last few years. I can add it to the list for consideration. Last year we came back late and had to do the return trip over the hill just as it was getting dark.

Onion Creek is only a two hour duration with Fisher Towers. I think it needs something extra like Rose Garden Hill but that would make it a Medium or Hard. Maybe Rose Garden should be tagged on to the end of Top of The World?

We've done a loop out of Onion Creek a couple times now where we start up Onion Creek, go over to Thompson Canyon and head back down Sand Flats Road. Takes about 4 to 5 hours and some of the scenery is really nice. The whole loop is doable in a stock XJ.

anything for the 11th? i would hate to go to Moab and then not get to wheel on my birthday

i think kane creek and pritchett should be swapped cause pritchett is a more popular one and some might not make it till the weekend, just my thought.

We've done a loop out of Onion Creek a couple times now where we start up Onion Creek, go over to Thompson Canyon and head back down Sand Flats Road. Takes about 4 to 5 hours and some of the scenery is really nice. The whole loop is doable in a stock XJ.
Thanks. I will update my list to show Onion Creek & Thompson Canyon.

Any chance of moving the Onion Creek ride to Friday or Sat?

That could be a good canidate for Friday. It's hard finding trails short enough to get back in time for dinner but that is a good one.

I'm not going to update anything until I get a little more feedback from people.

OK, here's the updated list (Thanks Ryan).

Tuesday. October 6th
Easy: Onion Creek
Med: Fins & Things
Hard: Steel Bender

Wednesday. October 7th
Easy: Shafer Trail
Med: Top of the World
Med: Dome Plateau
Hard: Flat Iron Mesa

Thursday. October 8th
Easy: Fiery Furnace Hike* & Klondike Bluffs
Med: Poison Spider Mesa
Hard: Pritchett Canyon.

Friday. October 9th
Easy: Secret Spire, Dellenbaugh Tunnel
Easy: Mineral Point, Long Canyon
Med: Seven Mile Rim
Hard: Moab Rim
Hard: Cliff Hanger

Saturday. October 10th
Easy: Chicken Corners
Med: Strike Ravine
Hard: Golden Spike
Hard: Kane Creek

* Subject to confirmation by Arches National Park

I will submit an application to Arches NP for the ranger led hike in Fiery Furnace. We need a minimum of 11 people for this, but I am confident we can do this going on how many people we had hiking on the Elephant Hill trip last year.

Last edited:
Anyone interested in doing the spike? I know that it's an all day event, but I'd like to do it.

Back