• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suggest a cell phone for me

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to replace my personal cell phone. I want something that will stand up to the rigors of what we do, I like the look of the MIKE phones by Telus, I found one phone by Bell that is up to MillSpecs but wrong network for me. Does anyone have a suggestion for this. I would be all over the MIKE phones but I dont need it for 10-4 talking. Mostly a little talking and mostly texting. Thanks guys, something waterproof and shock proof.

mcraindog said:
everyone relies on cell phones these days...get one that makes calls...ive maybe charged mine 2 times in a month and half...never have it on

unfortunately cellphones have become an essential for some of us.

These past 2 weeks i havent had service have been tough. I use it at work, witht he family to know who needs a ride, at school for scheduling, at home for booking apointments on the side, etc etc etc.

sorry i cannot suggest a phone, tmobile gave me a razr v3 on a warranty exchange. i try my best not to sit on it or drop it.

sorry I cant recomend a phone. I just pick the cheapest one and buy 2 so I will have a back up when it dies. I dont even have a house phone anymore, havent for years, I have a PCS phone so unlimited minutes/text/411 allways come in real handy.

What service provider do you use?

IslanderXJ said:
What service provider do you use?

Thats the big question, CDMA or GSM, not every phone is available with both options. The milspec phone that Verizon has here, gz'one, comes in three models, w/o Bluetooth, with Bluetooth, with bluetooth and push to talk.
Another one is the sanyo SCP-7050 which is also cdma, meets milspec 810F.
I had an E815 that lived inside a leather case and was either paired with my headset or my jeeps head unit so the phone was hardly ever opened. I replaced it with a Razr V3m, that one I put inside a tinted hard cover and that goes into a leather horizontal belt pouch, again, either gets paired with my head unit or headset so hinge usage is rare and has been once I started using the voice dial and talking the numbers in vocally over Bluetooth. With a good headset you only need to keep the phone within a few feet of you, well protected and padded. Gone are the days of laying down on it and beating it up crawling around in equipment racks. By the time I wore my old startac out it looked like it had a custom paint job with all the super glue streaks holding the case together..

HA, thanks Grimm...dickhead, lol. Looks perfect.

My next phone is going to be an iPhone, I have a Mac and iPod already, the iPod doesn't have enough memory for me, and I need a new phone bad, just need to wait till my contract with Sprint runs out.

I don't recommend an iPhone for ruggedized use. That said, Rogers has finally arranged something with Apple and it is supposed to be in Canada this month.

Couple of guys here in the shop use the MIKE phones through Telus. Works fine, even the MIKE portion (they use it to chat with their buddies that have real jobs - i.e., NON-IT).

I don't know what it is like in Toronto-land but Telus has decent coverage up here in Ottawa.

Dont get a Sony Ericksson W580i, its the cheapest piece of crap I've ever owned. I had a samsung "blade" for my last phone and I loved it. It was made out of metal and built like a tank, i dropped it so many times and answered it at work with hands soaked with oil and coolant and it never quit on me.

Talked to one of my co-workers about his MIKE phone (Telus) today.

You don't have to subscribe to the MIKE system and can use it as a plain 'ol cell phone if you want to.

He's happy with it. In fact, this is the second one he's had. He wore the first one out (and it looked rough) after ~5 years.

Root I've heard bad things about telus for coverage on JeepKings. Gonna avoid it like the plague.

Back