• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sudden (& apparently permanent) spike in oil pressure

Grizzley said:
Z22_Z33 you need to take this elsewhere. You've hijacked a thread on oil pressure to get a small minded point across. Go play on Walmarthaters.com or something.

Agreed.

Sorry Churchlady. I'm on the same page as you.

Last edited:
Z22_Z33 said:
I wouldnt suggest buying gas there. Its not good for your car, its cheap gas and i imagine doesnt come with the right additives and such that your engine needs to run well.
If we dont stop wallmart now, what will happen when all the competing companies go under, becuase they cant make money anymore? You think wallmart will keep their prices low?

Then what happens to your choice?? Its gone.
I suggested this so maybe one day wallmart wont be the only choice.
Yes there is choice now, but for how long after wallmart takes over

Its cheap gas? Oh yeah, thats right. I remember reading something about the WAL-MART Valdez...I'm sure they dont buy their gas from the same place as the other 4 million gas stations around the country. They all get their gas from the same SUPER companies. Ya big harry Jeep rider. ( dont wanna get in trouble for calling you a D***ass)

Stop the world; Z22 wants to get off.

Z, I know what you're saying. I too have read & yearned over A. Schumacher's book "Small is Beautiful". I grew up in the 40s in a small town & treasure the privilege, but that town finally had to petition to be annexed to Dallas because the cost of providing the services people were increasingly demanding got too expensive.

Walmarts are the result of somewhat the same process: the natural effect of an inventive, dynamic, society that keeps inventing/marketing/advertising/creating desire for more & more things.

Sam Walton is a small-town boy who saw a way to give small-town people a better selection of these things at better prices than their local shops could. This is not a crime; it's what Western Civ.--Eastern Civ., for that matter--does.

A few years ago I was in the Portland Pier1 store standing by a woman who was looking at some cast-iron lawn sprinklers made to look like frogs & rabbits. They were $19.99 @, and I volunteered to her that Walmart had similar--much nicer, IMO--ones for $6.99. In an icy voice w/o looking at me, she said, "I don't shop Walmart. They kill small businesses."

The question I've always regretted not asking her was why, then, she'd shop at a store owned by the gigantic Tandy Corp. that's surely hurt its fair share of small businesses. How do you, Z, live with the guilt of all the livery stables/harness mfrs./feed stores your XJ (or its ancestors) killed? All the cobblers & tailors put out of business by the clothes & shoes you're wearing? All the newspapers ruined or in crisis because of the internet you're reading this on?

Competition doesn't kill entrepreneurs; it's what keeps us alive & thinking. My small-town downtown is bustling; vacant commercial space is at a premium & some of the businesses are in direct competition w/nearby Walmarts/Targets/Radio Shacks. They've learned what they must offer in the way of products & services to attract & hold customers & they're doing it.

Churchlady said:
OK; in my "Leave displayed on front seat to let mechanic know this is one old lady he'd better not mess with" kit I now have:

a roll of 5/8" loom
a can of Anti-seize
a factory service manual
a spare MOPAR thermostat w/bleeder hole.

Now when am I getting my NAXJA bumper sticker?

And now can we get back to when I'm getting my bumper sticker?

Churchlady said:
And now can we get back to when I'm getting my bumper sticker?
If it's not there tomorrow, just wait longer.

It'll take awhile. Just when I forgot that I was expecting mine, it showed up.

Just a minute here. As I was in the kitchen just now making a grilled peanut butter & tomato sandwich (try it; food for the gods), I recalled a post on this thread. "Noooo", I thought; "that couldn't possibly have been Z". I came back upstairs to check & guess what?

Z22_Z33 said:
..... seems like they're just trying to rip everyone off, well thats wallmart for ya.
if you could try find someone who sells oil at wholesale, so you wont have to pay for the retail price which soemtimes is a good mark up in price . got my o2 sensor for 60 bucks wholesale as opposed to 83 bucks for retail

How, pray tell, does one support the small "downtowns" when he's buying his stuff wholesale & telling everyone else to?

Ah I see how this is. I try and offer some help, now i'm made to look like the bad guy. I have a friend who's a mechnic, he gets stuff at wholesale.

I ask you, where in all my posts today have i said "lets support small downtowns" Sure it my appear that i implied that. But nowhere I beleive did i say that. I simply said lets not support walmart. And about competition not killing entrepreneurialism your half right about that. It does lead to more and better things. On the other hand though it also kills it. A good example would be microsoft and its window operating system.
How do i live knowing that my xj and clothes i'm wearing killed other businesses, how would i know on the example you gave me? I'm still a young kid compared to many of you, I imagine. And yes that is progress. But then again we have to be aware that there is in fact, good progress and bad progress.
and about the gas, yes its true that all gas is generic, just in case anybody didnt know that, and that does include the grades as well. Its whats done with the gas is what i was talking about. maybe since we have an older designed engines the gas wont affect us. But the additives and other "stuff" they put into it the newer cars need those to run well.
Newspapers being killed by the internet. Now thats a good one. That may be partly true. But then again if you look at towns and cities across the nation, the newspapers really arnt being destroyed by the internet, but by the rival newspapers so that only leaves one newspaper in the town or city for residents to read. (what a choice that is? sounds like what wallmart is trying to do)
But back to the main point competition does help, but when a company gets the upper hand and puts the other company in the dirt, then where'd the entrepreneurs go to? But then again those large companies seem to make some mistakes, so they have to compete against the entrepreneur. I'll use this one again just like IBM outsourcing the job to create an operating system to microsoft.
I'm also saying that why dont we keep jobs here rather then ship them over seas. And for every job lost why dont we create one, or find one to replace it.
Just becasue walmart may be better at making a buck and have lower prices doesn't mean they have to screw over their employees and customers.

I'm also saying that there sometimes aren't anything wrong with large corporations, i just dont prefer walmart. As long as those corporations, go about things in a fair and legal way. But then again business are only interested in making money these days and when i was a younger kid. Sort of like boieng, back in the 90s they wanted to make money, so they bought a bunch of companies and outsourced production. Yes this is a good way to make money, but since they concentrated on that and not making the best planes possible, they're now unloading all the companies they purchased, becasue their losing money, and outsourcing their plans weren't the best idea. I dont know if this happened or, but if they outsource a fuselage to one company then the wings to another, then all those companies need to do is find some one who makes the jets and the interior and they can start up they're own business making planes.
I'm sure there is more i can write just not at the moment, thinking too much. lol

Looks like we're off the topic of the spike in oil pressure. So hows that whole thing going?

(A sigh of relief) Someone else on naxja who doesnt like walmart. I was beginning to think i was going crazy.

Didnt masterlock earlier this year, actually stop making locks in mexico? Because shiping was so screwed up, and started making them here in the US, which fixed the shiping problems? I saw this on the news, just cant remember if it was masterlock or another lock company.

After reading that article its made me think of what i wrote before about outsouring jobs. The only problem with this though is wal-mart may not go out of business(they dont make the stuff they sell it), If we stop making everything here in the US and give other countries plans to make what we used to make. Then couldn't it be possible for them, later on down the road (oh say when their country is no longer considered a 3rd world counrty) to start making what we used to make. Then what jobs would be left here in US for us to do? Instead of wal-mart going under couldnt our counrty resort to a 3rd world state instead, and then those counrties began to outsource for our cheap labour? or have i just interpreted this wrong and its a sign or progress, according to churchlady (people going out of buisness casue we drive cars instead of ride horse, and buy mass produced clothing)

heres a good quote for all you wallmarters this was on the main webpage under reader comments.
"the relationship between cheap prices, overseas outsourcing, and american unemployment seems indirect, but this article does an excellent job of shedding light on the subject. I fear that this message will not be conveyed to and believed by the wal-mart customer until the repercussions are obvious -- when it is too late. "

Last edited:
I respect your opinion, Z, & what Yuccaman's article is saying, &--unlike the home-grown terrorists known as the Politically Correct, who shut down debate by labeling all opposing opinions "bigotry"--in the proper forum I'd debate this matter with you til the cows come home. But this is not the proper forum & I need an answer to my questions about oil.

I would like to recommend a book to you both; strange book for a church lady (which I in fact am) to suggest, the author being a fire-eating atheist. It's "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand: an unforgettable page-turner whether or not you agree with her philosophy. The story of what happened to her "20th Century Motors" company should be the text for high school/college Economics classes everywhere.

My oil pressure gauge has calmed down to the point of comatosity. Just sits there slightly to right of center whenever the engine is turned on, doesn't move no matter what. I'll have my mechanic look behind the dash as Rich suggests, & "loom" the wires of the new sender as Tom suggests.

Now someone please tell me (1) what you think of my plan to run a cheaper & more available synthetic (one I can get in 5 gal. size at Walmart :eek:) for 3000 miles before sending off for Amsoil (You obviously haven't noted, Z, my oft-expressed preference for dealing w/Amsoil rather than a monolith like Mobil 1), and (2) what weight oil will do best for the Maine summer.

(Absolutely Irresistible PS:)
Z, you say,...."business [sic] are only interested in making money...". But I'm still trying to figure out how it either helps small retailers (including the mechanic you're apparently doing out of his profit) or hurts Walmart when you buy your stuff wholesale. Seems to me that all you're really interested in is saving money.

All I have to say is that I feel sorry for the person that comes across this thread because they had a spike in pressure and wants to see what fixes it.

One other quick thing HAIL TO WAL-MART!!!!!!!!
keep those prices rolling:roll:

Ramsey said:
All I have to say is that I feel sorry for the person that comes across this thread because they had a spike in pressure and wants to see what fixes it.

Truly. They'll just add a blood pressure spike to their problem.

Churchlady said:
Now someone please tell me (1) what you think of my plan to run a cheaper & more available synthetic (one I can get in 5 gal. size at Walmart :eek:) for 3000 miles before sending off for Amsoil (You obviously haven't noted, Z, my oft-expressed preference for dealing w/Amsoil rather than a monolith like Mobil 1), and (2) what weight oil will do best for the Maine summer.

Workable plan....depending of course on what a mechanical gauges shows is the current actual pressure. The correct weight would be in the owners manual but if I remember correctly would be around 10W-30(40). Personal opinion on Amsoil is it's good oil but not readily available if you need it on a trip. I prefer to be assured I can get my stuff no matter where I'm at. I personally use Delvac.

Churchlady said:
(Absolutely Irresistible PS:)
Z, you say,...."business [sic] are only interested in making money...". But I'm still trying to figure out how it either helps small retailers (including the mechanic you're apparently doing out of his profit) or hurts Walmart when you buy your stuff wholesale. Seems to me that all you're really interested in is saving money.

Good add there Churchlady. *grin* But then aren't we all interested in saving money also?

Z, every business, large or small is interested in making money. I mean, isn't that the reason for getting into the business? Duh. As for Wal-Mart hiring illegals, someone didn't pay attention to the news. A contractor working for Wal-Mart hired the illegals but the stink was raised as if Wal-Mart did the hiring. I prefer to not use them myself but sometimes I have no choice as I can't find something elsewhere or it's way more expensive.

Sarge

Delvac is a new one to me. What do you like about it & where can it be found?

And re:your hesitation to use Amsoil because it's not readily available if you need it on a trip. Since the best price on Amsoil is by the 12 qt. case, I could always keep a can or two in the car for an emergency. But would it hurt anything if I DID have to top off w/another good synthetic oil in an emergency?

Churchlady said:
Delvac is a new one to me. What do you like about it & where can it be found?

Delvac (made by Mobil) is actually an oil used by the big rigs. However it works real well in anything else as well. It meets or beats all standards for most gas engines. I run it in my XJ and my bike. I've run Mobil 1 and the mileage and cleaning ability is on par with that. The truckers run it for just about ever (nick named the million mile oil). They change the filter every so often. You can get it at any truck stop, any bigger chain store like Wal-Mart, and most auto parts stores. BTW, Mobil 1 makes a full synth for the big rigs as well and it's cheaper than the auto version....but it is much harder to find.

Churchlady said:
And re:your hesitation to use Amsoil because it's not readily available if you need it on a trip. Since the best price on Amsoil is by the 12 qt. case, I could always keep a can or two in the car for an emergency. But would it hurt anything if I DID have to top off w/another good synthetic oil in an emergency?

My hesitation isn't from needing some for top off but from having done a trip or two where I needed to change the oil in mid-trip. Shouldn't hurt a thing to mix it with any other oil. Heck even here at home I've gotta make a special trip about 30-45 minutes just to get it.

Sarge

Without entering the debate of whether the "contractors" who used illegal labor to clean Wal-Marts' stores were really independent contractors or, as many credible sources seem to believe, shell companies established by Wal-Mart themselves, I'll jump back into the fray regarding the oil.

All oils bearing the SPE certification are supposed to be compatible, and the owner's manual doesn't prohibit mixing brands of oil. Nonetheless, since I was a wee lad I have always heard serious mechanics (that's what we used to call the guys who repaired cars, before the profession went co-ed and changed terminology to "technicians") say that each brand of oil uses different additives and that you shouldn't mix them. To a person who plans to keep a vehicle only until the lease expires this probably doesn't matter at all. To someone who plans to keep a vehicle 10 or more years and a lot of miles, maybe it does matter.

I have always tried my absolute best to stay with one brand of oil. In my AMC days I ran only Amalie, which is now almost impossible to find locally. For the first 10 years and 175,000 miles of my XJ's life I ran only Pennzoil 10W40. When I changed to synth I went with Mobil-1 for two oil changes, then switched to Castrol because of the 5W50 viscosity. The engine still runs fine -- but since the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, I can't demonstrate that with frequent oil changes it might not have lasted just as long if I had tossed in a different brand at each change.

Church Lady, I think you'll be fine if you want to run one change on Mobil-1 or Castrol until you can order your Amsoil. On the other side of the coin, your XJ is (I believe) new to you and has probably been driven on conventional oil for all of its 8 years of life. It probably won't hurt to run it for another 3000 miles or so on the same stuff it's been seeing.

I don't know if the factory had begun recommending 5W30 by model year 1996. The climate in Maine isn't in any way extreme. You'll be fine running 10W30, or 10W40 if it's available.

BTW -- There's an easy test that your shop can use as a first test of the oil pressure sensor. With the ignition on (doesn't matter if the engine is running), if they disconnect the wire from the sender the gauge shuold spike to one end of the scale (for a '96 I believe it should go beyond 80 to the right). Then if they ground the wire directly to the engine block, the gauge should spike all the way to the opposite end of the scale. If the gauge behaves this way, replace the sender.

Last edited:
Eagle said:
I don't know if the factory had begun recommending 5W30 by model year 1996. The climate in Maine isn't in any way extreme. You'll be fine running 10W30, or 10W40 if it's available.

BTW -- There's an easy test that your shop can use as a first test of the oil pressure sensor. With the ignition on (doesn't matter if the engine is running), if they disconnect the wire from the sender the gauge shuold spike to one end of the scale (for a '96 I believe it should go beyond 80 to the right). Then if they ground the wire directly to the engine block, the gauge should spike all the way to the opposite end of the scale. If the gauge behaves this way, replace the sender.

Eagle, I don't want to be "fine"; I want to be perfect. (Like you :eek:) My climate is prob. much like yours: occas. extremes are -20 in winter, seldom above 90 in summer. If Castrol Syntec 5W50 is the best year-round choice for a car the age & mileage of mine I want to use it. On your recommendation I'd decided on it over Amsoil 'til I saw the $5 a qt. Walmart price. What do you pay for it? Have you found it in 5 gal. size--or in any form cheaper than $5 a qt.?

And do I gather from that first paragraph that if 10W40 is available I should choose it over 10W30?

And let me be sure I have the sender test straight: what you describe is the way it will act if it's broken? How will it act if it's NOT broken?

[Re: Walmart's poss. unfair labor practices. My problem in believing such accusations is the media's incomprehensible bias against American business--e.g., Dateline's "exploding truck", Prime Time Live's flagrantly dishonest "hidden camera" attack on Food Lion, Consumer Report's determination to to roll the Montero, etc. They've cried "Wolf" for little or no reason so many times I pay them no mind. Sad because they could perform a great service.]

Churchlady said:
If Castrol Syntec 5W50 is the best year-round choice for a car the age & mileage of mine I want to use it. On your recommendation I'd decided on it over Amsoil 'til I saw the $5 a qt. Walmart price. What do you pay for it? Have you found it in 5 gal. size--or in any form cheaper than $5 a qt.?
None of the Wal-Marts near me carry the 5W50 in the large containers. I buy it by the quart, and I think the last time I bought it was around $4.50/quart. I somewhat compensate for the high price by running a 5,000 mile change interval. I ran 2,500 when I used conventional oil, so the cost is almost a wash.
And do I gather from that first paragraph that if 10W40 is available I should choose it over 10W30?
I would ... and did. However, 10W30 is within the range specified for the Maine climate by the factory. For both your climate and mine, either 10W30 or 10W40 is okay with the factory. I prefer the slightly higher viscosity for better film strength when the engine is hot and working hard ... such as highway travel with a load in hot summer weather.
And let me be sure I have the sender test straight: what you describe is the way it will act if it's broken? How will it act if it's NOT broken?
Nope, you have it backward -- sort of. The behavior I described tests the gauge, not the sender. It only shows that the gauge functions in the gross sense, it doesn't test for calibration. But if the gauge responds to that quicky test, the next thing to check is the sender.

Gotcha. I'd forgotted about the poss. of the gauge itself being the problem because my mechanic said the chances of that were almost nil. But I sure would hate to buy & install a new sender & find out my gauge was the exception to that rule.

Thank you!

Back