• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

subs and system advice please

slcpunk74

NAXJA Forum User
I am just getting tired of my current stereo system(cheap 20+yo mtx 1oo watt 2 channel hooked to my ipod and 2 type s 6.5s). I enjoy music too much and I need at the least a new deck(since I have none). I was thinking of getting a new deck like a pioneer with sub controls I had before that was jacked :banghead: ; but I was looking at something like the phase linear or jensen in dash dvd combos. I am not looking for a competition setup but rather just something that sounds good. I was also thinking of doing custom cubby hole enclosure with a 10 but I am not sure which one. I have just been out of the loop too long and would really like some help...

so
has anybody heard anything about the phase linear or jensen dvd decks?
what 10" sub is good that does not cost too much?
and last what are some decent door speakers on a budget as well?

I got a JVC head unit with an ipod hook up in the back. It charges and plays the iPod, kinda like a CD where you only control the volume on the head unit. It also has an AUX in 3.5mm ( I think) headphone sized input jack. Th iPod connection is like $50 more and doesnt come with the unit. You can also play DVD's with it, with an external screen hooked up via one RCA cord. I like it and you can def hook a woofer up to it.

As far as speakers I really like JL Audio. Best stuff out there as far as I know. I ran Alpine type R speakers in the doors, but my old Pioneers were pretty good. i try to stay away from Sony and the like.

A JL 10W3 shouldnt run too much. And remember JL doesnt sell to people who sell shit on eBay. Or didnt when I bought mine 2 years ago.

My whole system is the JL 12w3, 4 Alpine type R 5.25(?) door speakers and my JVC head unit which plays MP3 cds, CDRW etc, DVD's and my iPod, along with any thing else I can hook into the headphone sized input jack.

I also have a PA for my CB but thats a whole other story. I'm looking to do speakers in the rear doors and also a sound bar, I just havent gotten that far since I have a stroker project running ( which will be done tomorrow with any luck).

If you need any other help you can PM me, I used to be a speakers guru a 4 years ago in high school, but I havent been into that for a while, if you need an answer or place to buy things online I'll let you know.

--Alex

my 88 is sporting 2 alpine type S 6in in the front
2 alpine type S 6x9s in the rear (home made speaker mounts in the rear hatch)
a pioneer truck 10 in woofer
a 750w MTX amp
and all being controlled by a kenwood head unit with usb plug in the front.

the 10 is a super thin design in a really slim box

so it sounds like you guys favor the alpine door speakers. It is actually funny because I used to be way into speakers when I was in hs about 4years ago but I have been out too long. I used to be all about the pioneer decks and the kicker subs with alpine door speakers. I had 4 kicker comp 12s, 4 6.5" type s alpines with 2 6.5 type r components and a pioneer deck in my isuzu trooper in high schoool.

I think I will go with more alpine speakers for the doors because they are not too spendy and I have always liked them but I am still not sure about the deck... So no one hear anything about the jensen/phase linear dvd decks?

Alpine cda-9884 runs around 200 with the iPod cable included. don't run jensen its junk and sounds bad. i am a little confused though are you looking for a DVD reciever? If you spend the money just buy an Alpine or another good brand? WTF is a phase linear?

FlexdXJ said:
Alpine cda-9884 runs around 200 with the iPod cable included. don't run jensen its junk and sounds bad. i am a little confused though are you looking for a DVD reciever? If you spend the money just buy an Alpine or another good brand? WTF is a phase linear?

it is a brand name of jensen.

I was really just looking for a plain deck but the jensen/ phase linear can play dvds and has a 7" screen and runs around $270 so I figured if it was ok I could get that plus it has the j-link cable that lets you control and charge your ipod but it will show your ipod display on the screen.

kennzz05 said:
check out crutchfeild they have all prices and explanations and differant setups for differant priceranges
I am not a noob to stereo I am just asking for first hand experiance with products not what the seller says it can do but rather what real people say it does.

Running a Pioneer DEH-2900MP, with some Kicker DS600s due in tomorrow. With wiring harness and install kit, the HU was about $125 or so at Wal-tard. The speakers were under $40 shipped. Will probably follow those with a second pair, or some 5.25s for the rear. Hoping for decent sound, without spending much cash. Anything should be better than the stock speakers, 2 of which got dropped last week working on my interior lights. Oops.

Really pleased with the HU- while I haven't added any of the fancy options, it's as good or better than any of my previous HU's, while being a good bit cheaper.

Unfamiliar with the Jensen gear- that's a brand I've always avoided, although I've run equally questionable Optimus and Blaupunkt gear with no complaints. If I ever get around to building an enclosure in the rear, I'll probably stick my old Sony amp and 10" Blau sub in it (open box discount ftw!). <shrug> Find some in a store and see how they sound- only your opinion really matters.

Last edited:
hubs97xj said:
Unfamiliar with the Jensen gear- that's a brand I've always avoided, although I've run equally questionable Optimus and Blaupunkt gear with no complaints. If I ever get around to building an enclosure in the rear, I'll probably stick my old Sony amp and 10" Blau sub in it (open box discount ftw!). <shrug> Find some in a store and see how they sound- only your opinion really matters.

Wow, I don't think I would ever put Blaupunkt in the same category as Jensen! I don't have much experience with Jensen, just to be completely honest, but I've checked out their stuff before, and it always feels like its going to completely fall apart if I even press a button too hard. My last two head units have been Blaupunkt, and I have no complaints. I like the way they're laid out, they're nice and simple, and everything is easy to manipulate. The only problem I ever had involved the Blaupunkt tape deck I put in the CJ. Lost the display because water was pouring in the dash. But really, its a CJ, what can you expect? At least it still functioned, I just couldn't see what it was doing anymore! As for Optimus, yes, they're definitely crap, but I've been running an Optimus amp for like 10 years with various subs, never had a single problem with it. Amps only have to make power, after all, they don't have to do anything complicated.

I'm running a JVC KD5000 head unit with Punch 2 ways up front and Boston Acoustics in the rear, and a 8" punch drivin by an Alpine V amp. For fawk sake, please dont buy the XJPod by Select increments...its horrible.

i just finished putting my new system in my XJ.

pioneer deck
6.5 JL TRs for the door
5.25 JL TRs for the rear
JL 12w7 sub, enclosed box
Memphis 1000.1 monoblock amp

it sounds clear, sub hits hard

the downside to mine is your looking at around $1600
but if you have the money, i havn't heard anything that sounds better

i just hooked up mine on the cheap via used deals in craigslist

infiniti perfect in sealed q logic box - used for 2 months!
bazooka 400.1 amp single channel - well used but works
1 farad cap - pyramid like new
the guy even had manuals and stickers!
-----------------------
for 150

dollar sub wiring kit from wal mart
--------------
40 bucks

replaced front speakers with pioneer cheap 2 ways - 6.5's
--------------------
40 bux

and rears with older alpines again 6.5 2 ways
-----------------
60 when i bought em

so thats about 200 for everything! it sounds great!
I already had a nice in dash dvd panasonic head unit at 50x4 - runs fine
i have done car audio stuff for a while so i installed it in a afternoon
all you really need in an xj is a good 10 with 150-200 rms or more unless you want some stomping bass

ktmXJ261 said:
i just finished putting my new system in my XJ.

pioneer deck
6.5 JL TRs for the door
5.25 JL TRs for the rear
JL 12w7 sub, enclosed box
Memphis 1000.1 monoblock amp

it sounds clear, sub hits hard

the downside to mine is your looking at around $1600
but if you have the money, i havn't heard anything that sounds better

you have never heard Fi Audio Subs then!

Pioneer 12" sub in a band pass box
Pioneer $100 head unit from wal mart
Pioneer door speakers front and rear
Orion 300w amp to the sub
MTX 200w to the front door speakers
some no name brand tweeters

Overall it sounds decent. I have many friends who have some some expensive setups in their cars, and know what a good system sounds like. mine sounds good for the around $200 that I've spent on it.

pretty soon I'll probably pick up some Infinity door speakers front and rear, and upgrade the amps and crossovers. I'm totally satisfied with the sub and head unit, just need some better mids and highs.

BTW, where's a good online store to buy from? Crutchfield? i kind of wanted to be able to compare their prices.

Last edited:
I would probably stay away from the phase linear and jensen. They are both the same company and both subsidiaries of audiovox. If you want a decent semi-cheap radio I would look at the pioneer 3000ib or the 400ub. Both will do full ipod control. As far as subs a w3 will run you anywhere from 200 up. I might suggest an alpine type s. For the money they hit damn hard.

01_XJ said:
Pioneer 12" sub in a band pass box
Pioneer $100 head unit from wal mart
Pioneer door speakers front and rear
Orion 300w amp to the sub
MTX 200w to the front door speakers
some no name brand tweeters

Overall it sounds decent. I have many friends who have some some expensive setups in their cars, and know what a good system sounds like. mine sounds good for the around $200 that I've spent on it.

pretty soon I'll probably pick up some Infinity door speakers front and rear, and upgrade the amps and crossovers. I'm totally satisfied with the sub and head unit, just need some better mids and highs.

BTW, where's a good online store to buy from? Crutchfield? i kind of wanted to be able to compare their prices.

sonicelectronix has always seamed the best for pioneer but its been a while check em out

slcpunk74 said:
sonicelectronix has always seamed the best for pioneer but its been a while check em out
Thanks. I checked out the site and might be ordering something soon. I saw the Infinity perfect 6.1 door speakers on there, and it says they are $599 list price, and they are selling them for $229. Are these an older model or something? This is exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm just wondering why the big discount on them.
link:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2742_Infinity+Perfect+6.1.html

The MSRP will always be high- that figure exists only to make you feel better about the price you actually paid. If you'd feel better about paying more for them, try Crutchfield or your local audio shop.

Back