• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid Smog Checker Guy - Now What

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
So lets say a buddy of mine had lots of issues getting his renix area XJ to pass smog two years ago. Lots of work and issues resolved, it finally passed with flying colors.

Fast forward to today, test numbers are all good. Two issues come up that cause a fail.

1) TAC hot air hose missing - Is that even a smog requirement, I guess that is an easy fix. Anybody have a part number or hose diameter/length part to purchase that will fit?

2) Aftermarket CAT has not E.O. number - Same cat that passed two years ago. Purchased and installed at a local muffler shop. I assume the receipt or the muffler shop will have the information needed? Or do I have a major beef with the muffler shop? Can they even sell/install non CA cats on registered vehicles?

The manifold preheat hose? pretty sure they sell them in various sizes at pepboys

Go talk to the muffler shop.

The state has really cracked down on smog guys this year. Cant blame the guy for not wanting to lose his livelihood.

Only issue I had with smog earlier this year was a visual on a hose thing that was cracked. There was some right angle elbow that went from a larger dia to a small somewhere. Ended up cobbling something together from Napa's rotating parts thingy, and some standard by the foot hose. It passed after that. For yours I would just do something similar but since it's missing maybe someone can measure theirs for you, or you can borrow somebodies/junkyard. Take it with you. Actually tried to get it at the dealer since it was so specialized, but they "stopped stocking that part in 2004" or something like that.

I keep hearing people talking about cats, but so far so good on my guy this past time and the time before (last year). It even had a big fist size dent in it from a rock. Knock on wood.

I get it that these guys have to comply, and I don't expect them to overlook real issues.

Lets just say some of these test places act like their mission is to get old cars off the road and others truly try to help you comply. With limited time we went to the closest test shop, not the "friendly" test shop.

Edit:

$10.00 at napa for a crappy paper pre-heater hose. Biggest diameter they had was 2" could have used larger diameter, but it looks good.

Went to Muffler shop, they printed out my receipt from two years ago showing that it is a CA compliant Magnaflow model. I searched the vehicle info on the Magniflow web site and the installed model showed up as compliant with the referenced E.O. number.

Went out with a rag and a flashlight and the E.O. # is stamped on the cat.

So...back to my original comment ... Stupid Smog Check Guy

Last edited:
The state has really cracked down on smog guys this year. Cant blame the guy for not wanting to lose his livelihood.

ding ding ding

Hope you have a free re-test?

.. Not having to smog my pile is awesome. Not looking forward to having to smog my MJ when I get it running.

Sorry about your luck. On a side note.. If, in the future, anyone has problems with their rigs blowing dirty I have had great luck with HEET (fuel water evaporator). I always put it in before checks just because I don't want to hassle with a retest and I've had 3 vehicles (4runner and 2 jeeps) pass like a new car.

Back