• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid question... front U-joint without removing axle stub nut?

My buddy had a pretty rusted axle nut on my last shaft he broke, his impact, my ryobi 200ft lb impact wouldn't get it off, his buddy jumping on it did no good, but my dads big 600+ ft lb impact looked at that nut and laughed... We filled up his air compressor to 125psi, sprayed the nut with a lot of PB blaster, let it sit... Then hit it and it spun off with a little effort :) I guess sorta my point is, if it needs anti sieze... Use it :) I gave my buddy a 1lb jar of nikal anti sieze, it's good for up to 2500 degrees... As for replacing it with a new 96+ or 91+ with ABS... Keep mind the u joints are indeed stronger... however they will just snap the shaft at the ears now and not just the u joint itself. (I read this somewhere online) to get those others out you might want to use some vice grips and maybe some heat

It comes easy after you have done it a few times and broken all the rusty bolts free already as a result.

My hubs have been out so frequently that changing a shaft takes 15 minutes now :roflmao:

I did a a unit bearing in under an hour last week. It does get faster with experience.

I use a cheap harbor freight impact to break that nut loose. Best 40 bucks I ever spent

They really need to be hardened to at least 10.9 class, and should be flange head... if yours are 8.8s you should replace them with proper grade hardware ASAP.

I believe mcmaster sells ones that will work though. I usually just get mine at the junkyard when I pull spare shafts.

OK, figured I should mention it. I've never seen any significant availability of anything other than 8.8 at my local hardware stores.

Note to self, pull the wheel bearing nut off FIRST!!!!!!
:twak:

:laugh3:

Then use the socket extension wedgie trick to get the hub loose.

I don't know if this will help with an '89 but this is how I took care of that on my '01

To take the nut out I used this...I got it to extend about 7'
2012-03-10-09-09-36-465.jpg

To remove the hub assembly, remove the top star head bolt and then loosen the front and back bolt about 1/2", jam a 3" extension between the loosened bolt and axle. Turn your steering wheel to push out the hub assembly.
2012-03-10-09-40-47-521.jpg

2012-03-10-09-42-09-976.jpg

I hope this helps some

Back