• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stupid fuel pump... (or ghetto fuel pump repair)

Yep, RTV is great against oil, but gasoline or turpentine will break it right down. If you read the tube before you used it, you'd know that ;)

Lube up the rubber O-ring really good with some silicon lube and install the pump. It can be a PITA, but it's easier with the tank out of the car. Get it lined up, then use a hammer and brass punch to spin it home.

You could just try reusing the old o-ring. Unless it was damaged it should work fine. The new ones are difficult to install, but that is to make sure there is a good seal. Which ever one you use a little vasoline on the o-ring and assembly help things along.

anony91xj said:
Yep, RTV is great against oil, but gasoline or turpentine will break it right down. If you read the tube before you used it, you'd know that ;)

Lube up the rubber O-ring really good with some silicon lube and install the pump. It can be a PITA, but it's easier with the tank out of the car. Get it lined up, then use a hammer and brass punch to spin it home.

Actually the words on the tube say "resists gasoline".

Matthew Currie said:
While I am a staunch advocate of Vaseline for many applications, including fuel tank o-rings, battery terminals, bulb sockets and other things, I should point out that it is still a petroleum product, and thus itwill rot true natural rubber such as that used in brake parts.
When I was writing that, I was thinking about a "V" belt I once coated in vasiline for storage (packed in a plastic sack and tied shut) and when I unpacked it years later, it looked pretty sorry. I really should have said rarley reacts with with most materials.
Brake rubber is probably another. Though I have had good results using vaseline on door seals and other things.
I'll amend my statement to read, reacts with few materials.:)
I've had a lot more trouble with various silcons and teflon products. I've always suspected it was the solvents and not the silicon or teflon that actually caused the problems. Finding a brand of spray silicon lubricant that is largely safe for most materials is easier than it used to be, but I'm leary of changing brands or experimenting too much.
Loc Tite makes some stuff called Leak Loc, that once it sets up, is impervious to most solvents and can really hold some pressure (450 PSI +/-). The only trouble with the stuff, is it's likely on there forever.

Last edited:
if you're doing a pump soon do yourself a favor and get the NAPA locking ring. It's less than $6, it's at least twice as thick as the stock, and the locking wings are already ramped so it's an easier start.

guess i got lucky with my 88, i didnt have to drop the tank, but it was a pain to get back on, i just used the old ring in there, it was in good shape and the ring that came with the new pump was too big.

Back