• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid front drive shaft question

dbltapp

NAXJA Forum User
So I recently picked up a hobbled together 98 XJ, 4.0 that was converted to 4WD. My front drive shaft is stupid loose at the front axle, I figure (hope) a new pinion bearing and seal, u joint will fix it, but want to remove it before any more damage occurs. Is that OK to drive on for awhile? It is a D30 high pinion front axle and 231 T-case.

I have never done one, but assume I would just disconnect at the u-joint?

Thanks

My front drive shaft is stupid loose at the front axle, I figure (hope) a new pinion bearing and seal, u joint will fix it, but want to remove it before any more damage occurs.

What do you mean you hope a pinion bearing and seal will fix it it?
Does the yoke move up and down? If damaged, changing just the outer bearing will not fix it. At best, you will need to tear the axle down, replace the worn bearing(s) and reset the pinion preload and backlash, in other words, rebuild the axle. If the gears are the stock ratio, it might be cheaper and easier to find another good, used axle.

You might want to pull the diff cover and inspect the ring and pinion gears (backlash/chipped teeth, etc.) and see what condition your oil is. Microscopic shiny particles is normal, anything bigger can mean your pinion/carrier side bearing are worn.

Any movement of the yoke (I'm assuming that's what you're talking about) will cause the seal to wear. Is your seal leaking?

If everything looks OK, you could try buying a new pinion nut (never re-use a pinion nut) and seal and tightening it to about 175 ft/lbs.

I've read that some guys have just replaced the rear pinion bearing, but bearing and their races need to be replaced as a unit. To get the pinion races out the carrier needs to be removed.

If you can't tend to this soon (I see you're in Fl now and probably won't need 4WD if its a DD) then I would pull the front DS. If the cause of the yoke being loose is worn pinion bearings then the longer you drive it the more wear will occur. But, if your going to the trouble of pulling the DS then why not just do as I suggest and drive it and see if there is any bearing noise.

If the pinion itself is loose, then no, you can't just remove the driveshaft and run it like that, since the problem is in the front differential itself and is a major fix (diff rebuild). The front gears will spin whether the driveshaft is in or not. If it's just the joint in the shaft, then you're fine with just removing it until you can fix it.

pull the front axle shafts.

plug the tubes with rag

reinstall just the stub shaft in the bearing hubs.

This will keep your hubs together, but nothing in the diff will spin.

assuming your pinion bearings are toast, this is what I would do.

pull the front axle shafts.

plug the tubes with rag

reinstall just the stub shaft in the bearing hubs.

This will keep your hubs together, but nothing in the diff will spin.

assuming your pinion bearings are toast, this is what I would do.

This would work too, but you might as well also plan on putting new u-joints in those shafts after you tear them all apart so you can just put the stubs in. Lots of work when you could just take the thing apart, get it fixed right, and put it back together.

Whatever you do, DO NOT just take the axle shafts out and try to drive it around. The unit bearing will fall apart if you don't have at least a stub shaft and outter hub nut on.

Back