• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid baggage fee's

ZacSquatch

NAXJA Forum User
Who's got the cheapest/ least baggage fees? I will need to have a second check in so whos charging the least and who has free first check in?

Southwest Airlines. 2 bags free.

Delta had 2 free bags back in Jan. I think their extra bag fee was $25 or $50, but their fee for a single overweight bag was $150!

Cheaper to ship it overnite fedex or ups maybe.

I think what airline you use depends on your destination and how reliable you want your connection. NW almost never drops a flight. When I flew from MN/St Paul to Boston (and back obviously) this spring, NW charged $15 for a bag that you couldn't carry on. People were bringing in suitcases with wheels and putting them in the overheads. Anything that will fit in the basket is a carry on, and that's a lot! Then check your second bag.

Book your flight a month or two in advance to save big on plane fares. Generally speaking, the closer to the date you need, the more expensive it gets.

I usually do a 7 day advance booking, 14 days at most but that is on international flights. I just about never do domestic flights. I cannot handle the crap at the airports from some security and besides, domestic flights are too expensive.

Anyway, the price change between a 14 day booking and more than 14 days in negligable. Next day travel is the pocket book killer.

The airline I travel on do not have a baggage fee for one checked bag that is within the weight limit. You also get one carry on plus a small bag, in my case my computer bag.

Last edited:
Southwest charged us extra when we flew back from Washington because we had a bag that was 51lbs (It was a 50lb limit). They even put a big yellow/black sticker on it that said "HEAVY".

Delta tried to hit me with a 52lb bag charge last fall in Atlanta...... when the same stinkin' bag PLUS a sweatshirt weighed in under 49 lbs. on the flight down from MSP. I had a testy conversation with the gate agent ("So..... when WAS the last time this scale was calibrated? And where are your maintenance records?") and they backed down in a big hurry.

Well, we came back from our trip with more than we left. I'm actually surprised that bag didn't weigh more with all them rocks in it.

:eyes:

What, you don't have rocks in TN? :D

Thats pretty gay, they wouldn't let you take out a shirt or something?

Washington rocks are higher quality. That's why it costs more to live there.

Well we had 4 bags; 1 large suitcase, 1 small suitcase, 2 day packs. Everything was full. They were pretty full when we left so there wasn't much wiggle room anyways.

I'm mailing up several large boxes of stuff, taking a gun case with 7 firearms (4 long, 3 pistols) and a 49lbs check in on the plane.. All my clothes will be on my carry on..

Back