• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

STUCK during the middle of PORC SYE install....HELP!

Bounty Hunter said:
I always thought that was one of the few 'standard' bolts, using a 1/2" wrench.

I was suprised that the std bolt went in,I always had a metric wrench when I did antything with the speedo gear,13mm but that is close enough to a 1/2'' to work.
Wayne

Okay - this makes for some interesting conversation then.
The bolt I pulled out of my '96 speedometer holddown was a 5/16x18 but that wouldn't fit in the new PORC housing.

I picked up an M8x1.25x16 today at ACE and it fits perfectly. Looks like that's going in the writeup for sure. Other than torquing the yokes on (140-150 ft-lbs will break a wrench sleeved in a hi-Lift handle) and cleaning some more baked-on gunk off the case all I have left to do is hang it on the tranny. Then again, I still need to hang the tranny before I can proceed to that step. ;)

i did the porc sye too a few weeks back.my snapring went in fine.i also was a little confuse about pressing the bearings out.mine is a 91.it has an elec speedo and was the 1st gen ror this i suppose.the housing that holds the speedo gear is aluminum and takes the long gear.i bought a 36 tooth.im still having trouble with getting the speedo to work properly.at first it would work for a day then crap out and the check eng lite would come on.i would adjust it again and it would work again for a short time.i bought a new vss(the 91 vss only worked for that yr 92 was different)now at anything over 35 the speedo goes all over the place all the way up to 85 and anywhere inbetween.you cant go by the numbers on the speedo gear housing because if u look at the pics above u can see the new diameter where the gear rides is much larger.i wonder if anyone else has had this problem?also mine would only take 1.5 quarts of trans fluid.i was told it should take 2 min.

markg, my speed sensor does that also and I believe it's a short in the wiring harness. Mine will work fine and I can duplicate the problem when driving by nudging the TC shifter, which I believe moves the wiring slightly. Haven't gotten around to tracking it down.

Back