• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strokers and gas..

Silent

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious if anyone is running strokers that use regular unleaded gas (87 octane) for their fuel. And, how they compare to other stroker builds out there that use the higher octane fuels. Maybe info on your HP/TQ would be cool too. Also, how satisfied are you with the lower octane stroker builds? I have been reading here and there and not really sure on what route to go, any help would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Silent

Yes I run the cheapest gas I can find. The key is getting the quench height adjusted correctly. The Renix system also will tweak the timing to help ping.

If I think I can afford it, I am going to build/run a high-octane setup. I just like the concept of maximizing thermal efficiencies, and getting the most bang for my displacement, even it it means a little extra $$$.

Just my irrational $.02.

I built my stroker to run on the lowest grade of fuel available in the Gulf, and that's 91 octane. No pinging problems whatsoever even in very hot weather. Could even run 89 octane if it was available.

270hp@4950/327lbft@3750, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.6secs :D
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

Dr. Dyno said:
I built my stroker to run on the lowest grade of fuel available in the Gulf, and that's 91 octane. No pinging problems whatsoever even in very hot weather. Could even run 89 octane if it was available.

270hp@4950/327lbft@3750, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.6secs :D
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

Could that build run 87 Octane, Dyno?

Silent

Dunno. With a 9.25:1 CR and 0.088" quench, 87 octane might be stretching things a bit but it might be OK in the winter with the cooler air. For summer you'd need at least 89.

I run 9.46 to 1 on 87 octane exclusively.

Renix takes care of any pinging at sea level, and I get 17-18 on flat ground, turning 3k on 35" tires. I do pick up some power running 91 octane in the flats, as the ECU doesn't have to back the timing off as much.

Back