• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stripped Lugs and Shop Won't Fix!!!!

a few ideas just to throw them out, try tack welding the stud shoulder to the hub and using a lug wrtench, or if the nut portion of the lugnut is damaged get one of those "lost lug key" type sockets to use after you tack welded the stud shoulder?!

Sitting here thinking about it, deep socket, spark plug type with the lugs on it for a box wrench. Fit over lugnut, grab socket with wrench and wedge it against wheel. 1/2" drill with hard steel bit and start drilling straight thru the lug nut. I don't know how practical that would be because I know how long it took when I had to drill out two grade 8 broken bolts on the front of one of our YJ's to remove the bumper. That took about 2 hours of switching hands and swapping between my son and I. Slow with plenty of lube and it still killed two or three bits.
If they are the factory lugs then they have caps over the nuts and that may go easier. All of our jeeps have solid lugnuts and I shudder thinking what I just described would entail.

I'm headed out to my customers shop to secure his wireless setup, will be gone about 2 hours doing his DST updates on the servers and workstations. I'll ask him and post from there. It may be a simple trick that none of us have thought about. Then while I have mine up on the lift doing tire rotation and an oil/grease job I'll see what we can come up with.

First of all, if you are the type of person that takes your car to a shop to rotate the tires, you probably will not be able to fix the current problem. No offense meant, just being realistic. So, find a place you can trust, get some word of mouth recommendations. Get the Jeep towed there and let them fix it. Then have them write a note for you to use in court, explaining the problem. Then write notes of your conversations with the previous shop, take pictures, etc and sue this guy in small claims court. You will win, he was at fault, and he should feel lucky he is not facing a claim for causing an accident or death. Whoever said this was your fault for not checking the lugs sooner is an idiot. Is it a good idea to check them, Yes, but can shops expect their customers to check no way.

You are going to need a 1/2" impact gun, remove all the lugs, pull the wheel so the stud binds on the flange behind it then use the impact to try to spin it off, warren tells me, results vary.
Second on the take it to a shop if you dont have the tools. We looked at mine and puzzled the problem out.
Caliper cannot be removed so pull the axle is out. A nut cracker might work if you can get it in there, the studs are grade 5's.
Sorry

Edit: Pulled a quote from page 1 without reading page 2.

I did an axle swap two weeks after having new tires put on and had 2 lugnuts stripped on with an impact. Both of them spun the studs. Took it back to the shop (just the axle) and the manager himself removed the nuts without damaging my wheel and apologized.

I did, however, torque check them when I got home, the problem arose when I attempted to remove them.

His fault or not, faulty maintenance is faulty maintenance. The guy should own up and fix it.

RichP said:
You are going to need a 1/2" impact gun, remove all the lugs, pull the wheel so the stud binds on the flange behind it then use the impact to try to spin it off, warren tells me, results vary.
Second on the take it to a shop if you dont have the tools. We looked at mine and puzzled the problem out.
Caliper cannot be removed so pull the axle is out. A nut cracker might work if you can get it in there, the studs are grade 5's.
Sorry

Shop guy used a small air chisel and broke the nut in half.

Shouldn't be that bad if he has stock wheels.

Back