• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Striped speedo gear.

RangerRick

NAXJA Forum User
My speedometer has been bouncing around for some time. Then last week it became clear it no longer was reading right. Finding no teeth on the speedometer gear, the problem was clear.

? When replacing the gear does the speedometer gear housing (that part between the gear and the speed sensor) need to be clocked when I've changed my gear ratio from a 4:10 to a 4:88? Or does the drive gear on the transfer case main shaft have to be changed to mate up with a 41 tooth gear?

IIRC, the drive gear on the output shaft never changes. The driven gear needs to be clocked to 1 of 4 positions, but I don't remember which one is for what range.

If your speedo gear is trashed, you might want to take a look at the drive gear. If that needs to be replaced, you'll probably have to remove the output shaft, and I have no idea what it takes to get a new gear.

Thanks a lot!

Yep, use the GO-Jeep chart to figure out what tooth count driven gear you need, the drive gear on the o/p shaft never changes. The notch with the corresponding tooth count range matches up with the prong on the retention fork that is furthest from the o/p gear.

I've used Go-Jeep a few times before. The one for a remote electric fan switch was quite easy to do.

The drive gear doesn't need to be changed unless it gets stripped. If it's a stock case with no SYE, it's a metal gear that's rolled into the shaft itself anyways... else you can replace it (if the teeth are stripped) just by removing the SYE tailcone (and yoke) and then one circlip. Should be able to swap the gear out and then reassemble. Not sure where to buy a new one though.

Yes it does need to be clocked. You want to get as close as possible to 1000rpm on the speedo gear at 60mph actual road speed.

If you buy a new drive gear, make sure it is a 13 tooth gear (counted around the end of the worm gear) and fits the correct spline count output shaft.

Back