• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stretched Factory TJ?

Jared

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody ever heard of one of these?
117166600latelC_ph.jpg

It appears to be a stretched wrangler. I've heard rumors about a new IFS (BLEH) Wrangler to come out soon. Man I hope not. But, if this thing's a solid axle contraption with the wheelbase of an XJ, sign me up!

Jared

It is supposed to be on the way, due in showrooms soon. I think it's to be called the Wrangler Unlimited. It'll be a stretched, 4-door version of the TJ.

I looked at one at the auto show this weekend. It is a modern version of the CJ 8.

Spobi

Eagle said:
It is supposed to be on the way, due in showrooms soon. I think it's to be called the Wrangler Unlimited. It'll be a stretched, 4-door version of the TJ.
This will NOT be a four door.
It is a Wrangler with a stretched frame and body.
The long-rumored Jeep Scrambler was unveiled with other Chrysler convertibles as the Wrangler Unlimited. This 2004.5 model measures 15 inches longer than a typical Wrangler. The added length is split, with 13 inches more cargo space and two more inches of rear legroom, creating a more functional, more livable all-terrain sport/ute. This long-wheelbase model promises improved on-road ride quality, while retaining the legendary Jeep off-road prowess, as engineers were keen to retain a 20-degree minimum breakover angle. Powered by a 4.0-liter/190-horse inline-six, the Unlimited boasts a 3500-lb towing capacity, besting the regular Wrangler by 1500 lbs. The larger Jeep has a large cloth top for foul weather and security that features a large 45x23-inch center flap to create a massive sunroof. Look for this mighty Wrangler to reach dealerships in April.

It indeed is called the Wrangler Unlimted. It has already been unveiled at auto shows and should be hitting the market relatively soon. For the 2004 production run it only comes with a 4.0 and auto trans. Very limited options for the first production run, most likely to guage interest. Like has been said it is only a 2 door version. It has an extra 15 inches........2 inches extra back seat room and 13 extra inches in the cargo area. Comes in hard or soft top models.

Actually...

IIRC that wheel base is 103" 2" longer than the xj.

I have a friend that sells Jeeps. He just went through a little training on how to sell the unlimited. It seems that Jeep is finally realizing that the Liberty wasn't cutting it with serious enthusiasts. I guess something like 77% of Liberties were sold to 1st time buyers. They did not get a good turnover from former XJ owners so now the dealers are being told to market the new Unlimited toward former Cherokee owners. They are trying to get back some of the buyers they lost. I'm not trying to be all "hooray for the Cherokee" here, this is just what the DC folks told the dealers when they introduced the Unlimited to them.

There is a place in East Tennessee...

...but I can't recall the name. I'll have to research it again. They take factory TJs and stretch them and resell them as 4 doors.

From what I've read the Unlimiteds are going to be price at almost 25,000.00 to start. And the way I see it if I am going to spend 26 G's I would get a Rubicon instead. The Unlimited is just 10 inches longer than a regular TJ which seems like a pretty expensive 10 inches to me.

So, compared to an XJ, it's noisier, 1.6" longer, has less accessible back seats, the same motor and drivetrain (probably D44 avail though), less comfortable, and uglier. Comes with removable doors and maybe a folding windshield. Hmmm, I bought my XJ for $1,995, thats $24,005 less than a Wrangler Unlimited and 1/13th the cost. Hmmmm.... what to buy, what to buy....

Those DC morons don't know what they've laid to rest. If they are going to build grocery getters to get sales, build them right - quiet, comfortable, independent suspension, hard tops, etc. Don't build all this in-between crap. Go RUBICON-TESTED or go to HELL!

Jared

Not to pee on anybodys wheeties but I have TJ's now in addtion to my 98XJ and an 89YJ. The TJ's ride is amazing to me, much smoother than the XJ over the winter potholed and rippled roads up here in the poconos. For right now the unlimited is out of my budget reach but is for sure in the future when it comes time to replace my work vehicle which is the XJ. Though I will test drive one to see if the longer wheel base makes a difference. The shortys are TOUGH, my son was sitting at a stop sign two weeks ago heading home from his morning class when a woman in a new Infinity cut the corner and plowed into the front of the YJ at an angle, that asian tin never stood a chance. Infinity=totaled, engine and tranny hemmoraged right there and left pieces of serious drive train metal on the street. YJ=bent fender, grill, dented hood, bumper and broken tab weld on the new radiator and lump on sons forhead from steering wheel. She pushed him back 25 feet and then tried to blame it on him, she got the tickets, yea, more than one. Goes in next week for new parts and paint and actually the bumper is really not any worse than after a weekend in the woods, we usually straighten it out with a sledge hammer and a railroad tie. He still has pieces of it, the infinity, sticking to the tow hooks and embedded in the bumper as kind of a momento :D He still uses the YJ every couple of days. Should look much nicer after we get it back....

:clap: Glad he's ok and glad he took out a stupid driver's car!

RichP said:
The shortys are TOUGH, my son was sitting at a stop sign two weeks ago heading home from his morning class when a woman in a new Infinity cut the corner and plowed into the front of the YJ at an angle, that asian tin never stood a chance. Infinity=totaled, engine and tranny hemmoraged right there and left pieces of serious drive train metal on the street. YJ=bent fender, grill, dented hood, bumper and broken tab weld on the new radiator and lump on sons forhead from steering wheel. She pushed him back 25 feet and then tried to blame it on him, she got the tickets, yea, more than one. Goes in next week for new parts and paint and actually the bumper is really not any worse than after a weekend in the woods, we usually straighten it out with a sledge hammer and a railroad tie. He still has pieces of it, the infinity, sticking to the tow hooks and embedded in the bumper as kind of a momento :D He still uses the YJ every couple of days. Should look much nicer after we get it back....

My son was a tow truck driver and has told me often how well short wheel base Jeeps do in accidents. And front my own first hand seeing Grands in accidents they do very well to. I haven't seen to many XJ's in accident though but I would assume that they would do well.

Back