• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange smell from engine?

xjpsych

NAXJA Member #657
When I pull into my garage and turn the engine off, I smell a strange smell I cannot identify. I have had the muffler checked and it is okay. the catalytic converter appears to be blown out. No leaks or spills. It smells like burnt something (maybe antifreeze)? Any ideas?

The catalytic converter has a heat shield which may look burned out when the actual converter is not. Of course if it is actually blown out or defective you should do something about that, but if it's the mesh on the bottom that's rotted, it's pretty common.

Your first job will be to try to narrow down what kind of smell it is. As soon as you pull into the garage, you should be prepared to pop the hood open, and look for any wisps of smoke or steam, and to get underneath for the same thing. Possibilities are many. Check underneath for signs of an oil leak, especially at the rear of the engne, where oil can hit the exhaust pipe. It might also be a good idea to have the colling system pressure checked, if you think it might be antifreeze and can't see any traces of leakage.

Also, don't forget that if you regularly pull through a slushy puddle or the like on the way into the garage, the mud on the exahaust can make a strange smell.

xjpsych said:
When I pull into my garage and turn the engine off, I smell a strange smell I cannot identify. I have had the muffler checked and it is okay. the catalytic converter appears to be blown out. No leaks or spills. It smells like burnt something (maybe antifreeze)? Any ideas?

Can you please put a scratch and sniff in your post. That would help tremendously.

:gag:

The cat is cold when the engine has been running and I have gone some distance. When I had the muffler checked, they felt the converter and it was not hot.

Had a friggin plastic bag attach itself to my exhaust bout 3 mo.ago damn shure stinks....nothin to do but let it burn off....Ewewwwwwwwwwwwwww

Look on the drivers side at the firewall,there are some wires that go down by the engine.....wires "are supposed"to be in a shield to keep them from touching the engine block or exhaust system.....

xjpsych said:
The cat is cold when the engine has been running and I have gone some distance. When I had the muffler checked, they felt the converter and it was not hot.

Still can't tell without a scratch and sniff.

:laugh3:

Back