• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange place for RTV...

RTicUL8

NAXJA Forum User
6hnp1x.jpg

I'm replacing the front main seal on my '99 WJ 4.7L
I've done this on my XJ before.
However, I noticed something that I didn't see on my XJ.
After I removed the "crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer/big wheel(what my wife called it)," I saw a thin coat of gray RTV inside.
It was molded into a ring-shape about 1/2 way up (where I have the screwdriver pointed).
The back 1/2 has dried RTV smeared all over it.
The front 1/2 is completely dry (no RTV)

It was on there tight - but probably only the front 1/2 was making contact.

My question - do you think I should put a new coat of RTV on when I re-install it?
I have the FSM, and it does not say anything about using RTV.

Anyone seen this before?

Last edited:
The fact that there's ANY RTV inside there suggests a fairly good sized gap. I'm thinking they do that to keep a small amount of oil from leaking past. I imagine the keyway is the primary path for oil to leak from since the rest is press-fit, but I suppose getting any oil in there could cause a slight leak. I don't imagine it'd be a problem to put RTV back on there again......:dunno:

It could also have been done for much the same reason I paint the crank snout with never-seez - so it won't seize on and it will come off easier when replacing it.

I somehow doubt it was factory (I've never seen a factory HD with RTV in...) but stranger things have happened. To me. Recently.

Back