• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange noises

Is it possible the engine was over revved and cause the valve springs to stretch? I read once in a tech article that if valve springs are stretched then their rebound rates, ability to properly seat the valve, and their spring tension goes all out of whack. If so, could it be severe enough to allow some sloppiness in the valve train?

That wouldn't be valve guides.. unless they were very worn and you would have other issues. I doubt it is weak valve springs as you would be experiencing drive ability issues. Possibly backfiring and a valve spring imposed red line (valve float). Carbon build up on the valve stem possibly.. sticking at one point then releasing. One tick could be last in the valve train, second tick could be valve removing last. But one would think that would cause dirve ability issues as well. Maybe worn rockers. Check the pushrod end, valve end and pivot.

If you do pull the valve cover to take more video, besides rotating the engine over by hand and filming it, I would also like to see a few other things. Pull a rocker with the noise and take pics of both ends, and the pivot points. I would also like to see a video with the valve cover off and it running at idle.

Sorry I will try to respond to all the replies and thank you in advance for all the great info. I will pull the valve cover back off and make a new video with valve cover off in the next couple of days. The sea foam treatment, vac gauge, video with valve cover off, pics of rockers & push rods, gum out treatment. You can not really hear the noise with the engine running, so I don't really think that would be a very helpful video. I respectfully disagree with not being able to feel it at the lifter on the bottom end because its pinned against the cam. With the kind of noise I have and being able to duplicate it easily. I am positive I would have felt it in the lifter, but I have been wrong before. Also no way its spark arcing. As far as driveability issues I do get a intermittent rough idle does not happen very often usually when stopped and in gear. And very rarely what acts like a sticking stepped motor and sticks me at very high idle. This could be a sticking valve, but its more likely the IAS sticking(have cleaned several times need to replace it). Anyway just brain storming. Give me some time and I will re-post.

I have been thinking on and off about this the whole day and it it really interesting. Especially the fact that it makes the sound when it is off and the engine is not in motion. I would clean off the valve springs and thoroughly inspect them. Perhaps there is a crack.

One other thing. Pulling off valve cover and oil pan. No sludge. Pretty sang clean. If its clogged lifter its dirt, carbon, or flakes of bearing material.

Thats interesting. Could you redo the video with the valve cover off so we can see what is moving around?

Yes, we need a video of it not running, valve cover off, but making the noise.

As said, so we can see if anything is moving around while making this noise.

Visually the first video did nothing for us but the audio was crazy strange.

I have a 91 Cherokee that has about 157000 mi dose the same click noise after I turn it off it seems like its comming from under the valve cover but it runs fine let me know if you find a source.

I'd bet it is the Lifters, I would seafoam or for faster results, replace 1 qt of oil with ATF & run at Idle for 20Min & drain, Then I would run a good detergent light weight synthetic oil (Like the synthetic Rotella or M1 TD oil) & good filter; I bet after a few weeks the noise will stop.
Good Luck.

I have a 1996 4.0 and after the seafoam treatment I started getting the tinking noise. Mine only does it from cold and if I shut the engin down right away. i think the springs are cooling off and clicking. they are spring steel right? We have weak springs.

I have a 1996 4.0 and after the seafoam treatment I started getting the tinking noise. Mine only does it from cold and if I shut the engin down right away. i think the springs are cooling off and clicking. they are spring steel right? We have weak springs.

It ticks on start-up and you shut it off and re-start and the tick is gone?

What brand of oil filter are you currently using?

This is going to be a very long thread sorry. Long story short looking for a ticking noise. 1990 XJ 4.0L AW4 makes really loud noise at start up. Also continues to tick for a little while after the engine is shut down. Clatter at higher rpms. Got sick of the noise and my leaky valve cover, so I decided to check some things out. Pulled the valve cover and while engine was ticking(shut off) felt rockers and could feel the tapping reverberating through the rockers and push rods, so I am immediately thinking lifters. Been using additives and different oil weights for a while now MMO Lucas nothing helps. I had to drop my oil pan to fix a few more leaks. So while I was in there I have been checking out the lower end. When I turned the engine over by hand to get a better look at a few of the piston rods and bearings. It starts that infernal ticking. So while its ticking I feel the lifters from the bottom side. I don't feel anything weird I thought it was lifters, and I thought I would feel the tap for sure. I keep feeling around while its ticking I can't find it. Sounds like the upper end. Could this be rocker arms, or push rods making this noise? Any other suggestions? I am so close to finding it. It's getting a rear main, oil pan gasket, high flow oil pump, and new bearings. Upon inspection bearings are toast. I have ruled it out as lower end it has to be upper. I inspected valve springs they looked and felt fine. Torque rocker bolts. The only other things I cam think of are push rods or rockers. possibly a valve, but I doubt it. has anyone ever had a noise like this. thanks.

My 87 and 89 have done this since I bought them.

It sounds like you are describing two different issues. One while the engine is cold, not having been started, and you just manually turn the crank by hand? Is that correct?

Or is after starting it, turning off before it gets hot, and then you turn the crank by hand?

Both of mine do it (tick with the engine off) after a short start up, still cold or hot. I always assumed it was the T-stat or exhaust creeking, but now you have me wondering.

Both of mine also use to make a racket at cold start up, but I solved that problem by repeatedly running the engine in park at 3700 rpm for 60 seconds, several times, after they warmed up. That seems to loosen stucking lifters, and get them rotating again. A trick 5-90 taught me once, but he does not recall it, LOL.

Also, the 89 did the ticking after the engine was turned off, before and after replacing the head, where the head was serviced at a machine shop before I reinstalled. The head gasket was bad between #5 and #4 cylinders, which is the only reason the head was pulled, compression and bearings like a new engine, very low mileage 89.

I have over 120,000 combined new miles on these two jeeps with the engine off tick (8 years and 4 years), and it has caused no operating problems on either one.

Last edited:
Back