• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange LIFT kit idea....

HaZakated said:
Thank you!!! I was hoping that I wasn't crazy....LOL.
That is not what you described. Moving the CA mounts up on the axle would provide some lift, but you said he cut the arms in half and added material in the middle. Which one is it?

Those pictures are not what you have said he has done. Doesn't matter matter how much or where or what he does to the control arms or the their mounts it connot change the height of the lift. The only reason there was any lift in the pictures shown above, as pointed out by the poster, is that the COIL MOUNTS were raised at the same time. I just spaced down my control arm mounts 4" this week and guess what? Not 1 mm of lift!
Get him to measure from the centre of the wheel to the underside of the flare front and rear. Dont tell him what stock is and then compared it to the stock measurement of 17.5" front and 17" rear.

x2. I just played around with the idea... can't happen... that simple. Probably some guy who paid to have it lifted, dosen' know what aal means, and tried to seem well versed in lifts... You can extend the lcs, but you better have the right springs to take up the sllack

Gojeep said:
Those pictures are not what you have said he has done. Doesn't matter matter how much or where or what he does to the control arms or the their mounts it connot change the height of the lift. The only reason there was any lift in the pictures shown above, as pointed out by the poster, is that the COIL MOUNTS were raised at the same time. I just spaced down my control arm mounts 4" this week and guess what? Not 1 mm of lift!
Get him to measure from the centre of the wheel to the underside of the flare front and rear. Dont tell him what stock is and then compared it to the stock measurement of 17.5" front and 17" rear.
Exactly, thats why CA drop brackets give no lift. The height of a Cherokee is the result of the distance between the upper coil mount and the coil mount on the axle. Increasing this measurement ( taller coils, spacers, ACOS, raised coil mount on axle ) is the only way you get lift. Think of a stock XJ frontend, the CAs are nearly parallel to the ground. Now extend the CAs 3" do you get any lift? No, you get an axle that is 3" further forward. Why would it provide any lift on a Jeep with 3" coils?

If anything adding spacers to your control arm makes up for the space he created by adding the lift. Hazacated are you talking about that white 96 xj?
also he more than likely has pushed his caster angle beyond specs. Iam sure that there is more to this story. Control arms are for stabilty not lift.

HaZakated said:
Now that the Eagle has spoken, I'm starting to lean towards the idea that mabey this kid didn't know exactly how his XJ was lifted and passes it off like he does. I have found much wisdom in Eagle since I have been here on Naxja forums, and tend to trust what he thinks about the matter.
HAH! Fooled another one! :gag:

HaZakated said:
Thank you!!! I was hoping that I wasn't crazy....LOL.
It has already been noted, but let me reinforce that cutting off and raising the spring mounts is NOT the same thing as adding a 3" spacer to the control arms, which is what you originally described.

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICTURES.

HaZakated,

I think I know what yer talkin' about. I suppose the guy cut the control arms, then welded the 3" piece of control arm extension at essentially, a 90 degree angle down, then welded the other half of the control arm onto the bottom of the extension - thus making the control arms look kinda like a zig-zag?

I recall seeing some "scary" pics a few years ago here in the forums of just such a "lift" where all 4 control arms were cut this way, and then a 3" spacer was placed above the front spring. I tried to find the thread, but couldn't.

Either way, I don't think anyone here would believe that modifying original suspension parts to create lift would be a good idea - no matter how cheap.

YELLAHEEP said:
I suppose the guy cut the control arms, then welded the 3" piece of control arm extension at essentially, a 90 degree angle down, then welded the other half of the control arm onto the bottom of the extension - thus making the control arms look kinda like a zig-zag?
That still wouldn't lift the Jeep. It would have more of an effect as drop brackets. All lift is done by springs, spacers, acos, moving spring mounts up on the axle, or down on the "frame/body". But that could be what he was talking about, still no extra lift. Still very scary.

Zig zagging the control arms would just put the ends of the arms back to a more parallel geometry.

Daryl

Last edited:
The Spobi is strong in this thread. For the last time, Controll arms have no effect on suspension ride height. Here is a pick to show you guys.
4hziib

This thread reminds me of the guy that suggested removing the shocks to lower the rear of an mj.:dunce:

Last edited:
CW said:
The Spobi is strong in this thread.

HAHA. For sure. Like everyone has been saying. There is no possible way to gain lift by cutting your stock CA's and lengthening them. I dont think the kid knew what he was talking about. If you think about the way the suspension designed you will realize that it is imposible to gain lift the way you have described. The axle would be pushed forward and with 3 inches of lift there is no way he would be able to get the 35's on without chopping the crap out of the front fenders and probably substructure. Something that CW's pictures dont illustrate are the spring mounts. Imagine moving the lower spring perch 3 inches forward. How would your springs be sitting? This is what he was talking about when he said the coils will have a bow.

Next time you see him ask him how high he went with the body lift. ;)

JEONLYEP said:
Zig zagging the control arms would just put the ends of the arms back to a more parallel geometry.
No it wouldn't. He might think it does, but the only thing that counts is where the end joints are in relation to each other. The bar itself could be a pretzel -- the suspension geometry is determined by the end joints, not the configuration of the bar between them.

Eagle said:
No it wouldn't. He might think it does, but the only thing that counts is where the end joints are in relation to each other. The bar itself could be a pretzel -- the suspension geometry is determined by the end joints, not the configuration of the bar between them.
That's true, nevermind me, I was drunk at the time. :D

Daryl

Back