• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stowaway in 767 wheelwell from San Jose to Hawaii

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
With the current TSA and DHS presence and monitoring equipment at our major airports, how does this happen?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-04-22-06-59-44

Is this how easy it is to compromise a plane? If this kid was a terrorist with explosives taped to his body and an altimeter trigger......the outcome would be ugly.

Can't help but think that bad guys are VERY interested in this security hole.......

Agreed, big problem.

I live right near LAX, been here since before 9/11. As usual, any knee jerk reactions are misguided... Theres a spot right nearby where people sit to eat their lunch and watch the planes landing, 50 feet away there is an In'NOut fast food burger spot with outdoor seating with damn near the same view. Airport and regular police regularly give people a hard time for parking there and watching the planes, apparently they might be doing a 'stake-out' for a terrorist attack.... Which a terrorist couldnt do from the seating area of in n out...

Come on guys. Theres not much israel does right in the political realm, but the way they approach airline security is second to none, and has the best record out there at preventing terrorism. What do they do? Train people to be psychiatrists basically, to be able to sniff out someone whos up to something... And it works! So why doesnt the US do something similar? $$$$$. Airport security screenings are big money, yet they post job openings on craigslist, and pay minimum wage plus a dollar or so.

We dont take security seriously, what we do in the name of 'security' is to inflate pockets, and calm people down. This MIGHT change after the next couple of homegrown terrorists attacks.

! So why doesn't the US do something similar? $$$$$. Airport security screenings are big money, yet they post job openings on craigslist, and pay minimum wage plus a dollar or so.

We dont take security seriously, what we do in the name of 'security' is to inflate pockets, and calm people down.

I happen to agree with this statement. The illusion of security is big business. I personally know several TSA agents and I wouldn't trust them to balance a checkbook, let alone spot a terrorist. And from someone who travels A LOT, I see way too much boisterous activity between people that are supposed to save my life from bad guys. I wish they would be more professional and take their jobs seriously.

Last edited:
I happen to agree with this statement. The illusion of security is big business. I personally know several TSA agents and I wouldn't trust them to balance a checkbook, let alone spot a terrorist. And from someone who travels A LOT, I see way too much boisterous activity between people that are supposed to save my life from bad guys. I wish they would be more professional and take their jobs seriously.

Agreed.

We dont take security seriously, what we do in the name of 'security' is to inflate pockets, and calm people down.

Calm is not a word I'd use to describe my mood after having to wade through a TSA checkpoint. 2 of the last 4 times I've flown I've been detained for setting off the explosives alarm from something detected on my hands, even though I work for DoD and have a Known Traveler #. The average education of the people working these checkpoints has to be below high school graduation level and their behavior detection officers (which they lifted from the Israeli model) seem to be few and far between.

To me the TSA is little more than a jobs creation program for the government that does little to improve airline security. While the kid sneaking into the 'secure' runway area may have not directly been a lapse in TSA security, they are the face of all things airport security and will no doubt use this as an excuse to increase their budget for new technology and employees in the name of bolstering security further.

I work about 200 yards from SJ, but anybody can see it on Google earth. While they call it an international airport it has a private aircraft side/end too which shares the runways in the middle (common setup). Regular people come and go on this side/end all day. I suspect he came in on this side where it would be total common to see "civilians". Afterwards he would have to cross a large DMZ-like area on either end but wouldn't be blocked by fences.

What I think will happen. TSA will go off in the completely wrong direction to "beef-up" security in the wrong area just to say they did something. Pretty much their standard operating practice.

Re cold and lack of O2: Teenagers are dumb.

Last edited:
My guess is they are too busy body searching toodlers to watch the fence. :)

Back