• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

STOOPID SPARK PLUGS

Has anyone replaced the spark plug "bar" with wires? and can you give me a hint as to how i would have to do it?

Thanks

Zip

Yeah, replace all of your wiring and ECU with a 98 or 99 setup. What's the problem? The coil packs are awesome....

Dont know about physically doing it,but its definately illegal to do it!

Illegal? LOL...okay...

Dont know about physically doing it,but its definately illegal to do it!

I wouldn't say illegal more like pain in the ass. Not sure if its even possible is it? Since the distributor goes into a hole in the engine! :doh:

What I'd do with mine is replace it with a coilpack from a Ford V6 like the Aerostar/Ranger unit. They are about half the price of the Jeep one. No need for a distributor. Thanks to Talyn for this idea.

What I'd do with mine is replace it with a coilpack from a Ford V6 like the Aerostar/Ranger unit. They are about half the price of the Jeep one. No need for a distributor. Thanks to Talyn for this idea.

are they any better than the Jeep coilpacks?

dont know about any better but i know alot of guys running them on some pretty high hp engines with aftermarket management with no issues, so reliability isnt an issue. plus a ford edis system is nice and abundent if you were to take a trip to the wreckers, there on tons of models.

Yeah, replace all of your wiring and ECU with a 98 or 99 setup. What's the problem? The coil packs are awesome....

well i have a 2000 but the spark plugs are a giant pain in the neck to replace and i was wonderin if there was a way to make it easier?

.... and how is it illegal???

Zip

It's not that bad, I can usually do a coil rail 4.0 tuneup in 20 minutes. Just have to get it down with practice.

X2 mine isn't distributorless but it looks easy as hell to me to remove the coil packs. I don't know what all the fuss is about he doesn't have to worry about getting a distributor wet! :D

well i have a 2000 but the spark plugs are a giant pain in the neck to replace and i was wonderin if there was a way to make it easier?

.... and how is it illegal???

Zip
Its illegal to install any "system" that is not factory available for that specific year(your not allowed to go backwards in-time).

Its illegal to install any "system" that is not factory available for that specific year(your not allowed to go backwards in-time).

That may be true, but I do see many sports cars that have gone carburated with no issues. Although where I live there is no emissions check.

yeah Pennsylvania has emission checks! well i guess i'll have to stick with the bar then. i'll just have to "practice" and get it down to an art!

Thanks!

Zip

X2 mine isn't distributorless but it looks easy as hell to me to remove the coil packs. I don't know what all the fuss is about he doesn't have to worry about getting a distributor wet! :D

Yeah it's stupid easy, 3 13mm bolts, and plugs. Thats it! did my mom's 00 WJ in no time.

........so excuse my ignorance on the coilpacks and whatnot, but how hard and what would be involved in changing a distributor setup to a coilpack?

If it could be done at all........specifically to a renix

....,how hard and what would be involved in changing a distributor setup to a coilpack?,.... ....,specifically to a renix
Pretty tough. You'd have to change the engine management system to operate distributorless. Probably the simplest way would be to piggy-back an aftermarket computer, like the painless wireing stand alone kit for a street rod based on the GM V-6. A much more complex solution would involve swapping the '00-up engine management system from a Jeep into your XJ. It would probably be easier to just buy a 00-01 XJ and swap all your parts onto it.

Why would you want to do the swap? The renix parts are pretty reliable, cheap to purchase, and fairly easy to work with? Why "up-grade" to a much more complex system that really doesn't work any better?(the HO motors produce more HP mainly due to head/intake/exh. changes, not better engine management.)

Back