• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock VS Rusty's Skid Plates

ruffrich26

NAXJA Forum User
So my 2000 XJ has a stock Fuel tank skid plate. It looks to be in pretty good condition. My friend offered to sell me his Brand new Rusty's Gas tank Skid plate, his XJ was stolen before he could put it on he said he's give it to me for $100-$150. I can buy it from Rusty's for $219 plus shipping. I'm not convinced I need it. I already have the stock one on there and it looks to be the same probably not as thick steel but still saves me money. I wanted to know if any other Veteran XJ drivers would pull the trigger for this deal or hold off cause its not worth it. I can justify purchasing it if it was say for my Tcase or Engine, but the skid plate that's on there seems to be fine. Thank y'all

One thing I've learned is don't skimp on skid plates/protection.the stock skid is ok for mild mild wheeling, any thing passed that, and I would want an upgrade. Especially when it comes to the gas tank. Don't want to be stranded somewhere because you poked a hole in the tank and ran out of gas

do you wheel big rocks?

The difference is longevity. The stock skid protects the tank from a couple of hits before it's bent. A proper aftermarket skid will take big hits and still be intact.

For a jeep that just rail rides, stock is adequate. Big rocks? Everything stock sucks.

Some stock XJ gas tank skid plates are plastic. Some are metal. If the existing one is plastic, simple decision.

Rusty's skids can take a beating!

been running the stock steel skid for a few years now. Its only taken a couple minor hits. the tow hitch takes the real beating

my stock skid has taken a hell of a lot of big hits. I've landed the whole jeep on it a number of times. it's got some small dents in it, but it doesn't contact the tank anywhere.

Back