• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Look HD Front Bumper

axshon

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Everyone, Here's the story on my new 2000 XJ. I drive on the highway a lot and only go off road once in a blue moon. Not much in the way of rock crawling here in Maryland and I don't need a heck of a lot of clearance so I'm staying with smaller tires and no lift (yet). This ought to give me some advantage in mileage. It will also keep the inspectors off my back. I also have a multi-mount winch given to me by dear ol' dad. I plan to get a custom rear bumper so I can mount the tire outside but I'm stuck on the front bumper.

I want tow eyelets and I need a front receiver but I also want it to mostly look stock and all the front full-width bumpers out there have winch mounts from what I can find. Does anyone make a good solid custom front bumper with eyelets and a receiver that otherwise will allow me to use all my stock running gear? I want it as strong as I can get and I'll mount the front license plate on the receiver. Am I going to have to get someone to build this for me? Who does that? If I go in that direction, I need someone who has done it before for money. I don't want to skimp on safety gear. I want as close to a sleeper orv as I can get so that when I do eventually go find some fun stuff, I'm good to go (and get back).

Thanks

Yes, I like the JCR stuff. Looking hard at their rear bumpers. For the front though, I wanted something that would allow me to keep my stock air dam and bumper ends.

Why not keep your stock bumper and simply add a front reciever? You can use it for your reciever mount winch or as a recovery point (2" reciever mounted shackle/hook). The Hidden Hitch tucks nicely up under the bumper and works great. Mine came from JC Whitney for around $129--I think etrailer also carries them. Make sure to get the XJ specific one--not a universal.

Here's a pic of mine. Before the flair removal and fender trim, it was totally hidden by the stock plastic valance, except for the receiver:

PittstonUs1.jpg

The backbone deal from Detours looks like what I'd prefer. I've asked them if they can customize one without the winch mount and with a 2" receiver. We'll see how it goes.

I posted a front receiver hitch question in another forum and was flatly told that the bolting surfaces used by those would not support pulling me out of a mud hole with a multi mount 9000i. They just don't have enough of a mounting surface and I'd be bound to tear up my frame. Mecompco, you're saying it's not true?

Back