• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Jeep Center Caps on Cragar Steel Wheels (How-To)

I was actually thinking about doing thing when I first got my soft 8's. Same concept, and I saw it on one of AEV's Commanders. Looked really sharp for the price, and surely a hell of a lot better than those retarded Ben Hur chariot status chrome center caps.

Edit: Here ya go, definitely fresh.
xk_zebra_650.jpg

Re: Jeep Center Caps on Cragar Steel Wheels (How-To)

Well winkosmosis, looks like it's unanimous. Two out of two NAXJA users agree you need to go out and buy yourself a bumper mounted tire carrier so you can stop messing with those darn center caps! :laugh3:

exactly. 700 dollars to not unscrew the center caps is totally worth it! :D I'll be ordering one Monday!

Re: Jeep Center Caps on Cragar Steel Wheels (How-To)

Well winkosmosis, looks like it's unanimous. Two out of two NAXJA users agree you need to go out and buy yourself a bumper mounted tire carrier so you can stop messing with those darn center caps! :laugh3:

I think what I may do is make some kind of hub out of cutting board plastic which can bolt to the wheel with all 5 holes, then attach to the J hook.

So, I've sent out a few sets of templates. Anyone installed their caps yet? How about some pics of different combinations...

Here's a couple of better pics than my driveway shot:

100_9603.jpg

100_9570.jpg

I've gotten lots of compliments on them. Confused a lot of people too...

with a 31 on it my bolt for the stock spare mounting location does not pass through the center. i use a lug hole. think itd be fine without a center cap.

but this is a GREAT idea. i have been putting of buying new center caps for my soft 8s. GLAD I DID!

I still haven't... the 96 is down for a trans swap right now, whole drivetrain already pulled/new trans put in/reinstalled, but haven't reconnected all the hoses and wires. I should find my drill and do this while it's immobile anyways :thumbup:

Figured I would resurrect this thread to see if there are any other pics of this mod out there (or of this wheel on a black jeep) :)

I have my stock silver center caps on my Cragar D windows .

Theres a pic in my build thread
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1080904&page=6

Posts 83 and 102 show 'em off pretty good.
I like the way they look and they sit nice and tight .

i did manage smash one of them dropping off a rock though.

Hey man, it said your PM's were full, so I figured this is the best way to contact you lol. I was wondering if you could send me one of those templates, I've got some Pro-comps and some OEM center caps which would look bad ass together. Any help is appreciated!

Looks like this thread has been resurrected as I've recently started getting template requests again. Unfortunately we're no longer using the oddball CAD program that I used to draw the template at my work so I can no longer print them out. Sorry about that.

If you have access to a CAD program, it would be just as easy for you to make them yourself. You could probably even do it with a compass and protractor if you've got some old school skills. The Cherokee bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5" and the screw holes for the center caps are on the same pattern as well. Essentially, you have to draw a 4.5" circle and place 10 equally spaced marks around its circumference, every 36 degrees. Draw a small circle around every other mark about the same size as the lug holes in the wheel. Line the small circles up with the lug holes as described earlier in the thread, and then use the uncircled marks as your drill centers for the mounting screw holes. Hope that helps.

Hey Fyrfytr1717, may I just offer my humblest gratitude for your work here? Your post in this forum inspired me to try installing AMC Volcano Caps on some Chrysler 300C steelies on my 73 Dart.. (And, a guy on Moparts inspired me to use the 300C steelies on the Dart, though he went with Mopar Rallye center caps instead).. Either way, I was hmmming and hawing on how to get a template made to drill bolt holes.. Heck, I was ready to put the wheels on a rotation table at a friend's shop and scribe the wheels by eye and then center the caps based on that.. Yikes. Then I read this thread again and saw your last post.. Why hadn't it occurred to me that this is all mathematics? Oh man.. A few hours in Microsoft Publisher on a 42" screen blown up at 800% magnification got this about as exact as I can get it.. I tried to make sure I accounted for all variables.. I made it a PDF so anyone can open it.. When printed, make sure to measure the box on the right-- it should be exactly 10 inches.. I cut out the circle (outer edge for these AMC caps) and poked holes where the mounting points were and everything appears to line up.. As always, use at your own risk.. measure 5 times, drill once.. But, here is a link to the file in my dropbox.. (until I can figure out how to also add an attachment)..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...illac/AMC Center cap wheel drilling guide.pdf

Thanks so much for the inspiration.. I do hope this helps anyone wanting to add center caps to their wheels.. (Trust me, I'll be doing this for the Cragar Steelies I'll be putting on my 1996 Caprice 9C1 former Mountain View Police Dept. cruiser.. Getting too hard to find good, affordable 15" rubber for that car and I want to retain the cop car center caps.. The Cragars will be a close enough match to pass.. The original cop rims will get stored safely in the garage) :)

Much thanks!! And, since I'm not an XJ guy (found this forum by searching for center caps on steel wheels) feel free to email me if this helped you out.. I like to hear that something I've done has helped someone save time/effort/money/etc.. :)

Raj

Back