• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Issue - Premature Wear?

xjrbw

NAXJA Forum User
Couple different questions here, I'll try to keep it simple.

So last December I had some pretty loose steering. I had 3 tie-rod ends replaced and passenger side wheel bearing. Now I'm back to having similar symptoms, but the slop seems to be in the steering shaft itself (piece that connects the wheel to the steering gear/box). I can grab it with my hand, rotate it, and see the wheel moving inside the car. The visible movement in the wheel seems to be about the same amount of slop I feel when driving. I noticed there is a joint in the steering shaft, with a small u-joint, but that u-joint doesn't seem to be loose.

Is it possible for components inside the box itself wear out or become loose? If so, what are the remedies? Any other parts I should be looking at? I've checked the tracbar, it's tight. Could the TRE's be worn out again already?

I've got an '01 XJ w/ RE 3.5" lift + 1.25" spacer/shackle. 33's, Long-arms, RE Tracbar. Stock steering components w/ the exception of an Alumaflex tie rod.

Thanks guys!

This is similar to the issue I have with mine. Mine is worse in the morning when it is cold and seems to go away after the under hood temps get warmer.
It looks as though the steering shaft has a joint that slips about an 1/8 turn until a tab catches and stops the slip.
It is possible for the actual steering box to wear out but after 250k mine seems to be pretty tight.
If you're up north I could show you where mine is slipping and it might be the same place that yours needs attention. I can also show you how to adjust your steering box. I did mine when I had the radiator out recently.

Take a close look at the steering shaft under the hood, where it connects to the steering column (right under the power brake booster at the firewall). There is a metal round sleeve just down from the bolt that attaches the shaft to the column. Inside that sleeve is a rubber bushing. Hold the steering shaft tight and have someone move the steering wheel right to left. You may find that the rubber has broken loose of the sleeve.

I just replaced the steering shaft in jeepdude25's rig for this very same reason. He thought his steering box was crapping out, but it turned out to be a bad steering shaft.

Take a close look at the steering shaft under the hood, where it connects to the steering column (right under the power brake booster at the firewall). There is a metal round sleeve just down from the bolt that attaches the shaft to the column. Inside that sleeve is a rubber bushing. Hold the steering shaft tight and have someone move the steering wheel right to left. You may find that the rubber has broken loose of the sleeve.

I just replaced the steering shaft in jeepdude25's rig for this very same reason. He thought his steering box was crapping out, but it turned out to be a bad steering shaft.

That's it. It has a tab that stops it so you dont lose your steering completely. Did you replace it with a used shaft or a new one?

Found a good used one and swapped it in.

Yeah, that bushing isn't supposed to allow the shaft to turn, but that tab is in place I'd imagine just in case the bushing does fail.

Back