• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering fluid in brake reservoir - topped off

OK, the bottom line is that petroleum based fluid will almost instantly ruin any rubber component that is in a brake system, period! This is not an opinion, and please, this is a serious safety issue not to be played around with. I do this for a living, and like others have said, it does do damage. If you have ever looked inside a master while pushing on the pedal you will notice that fluid squirts up back out of the master into the reservoir, when you let back up on the pedal it draws fluid back into the plunger of the master, that is how you eventually end up with contamination all the way down to your rear brakes, just as the dirty fluid from your calipers ends up in your master.
At a minimum, you should never try and use the master cylinder after it is contaminated, no ones safety is worth the price of a master cylinder.

as are condoms, so by your logic, they can be used for brake lines?:eek:

I only buy the pre-lubed ones and and use them,...... well you know where.... :wstupid:

Safety is always paramount. Especially with vehicles with rusty old brake lines. When you first drive your vehicle for the day, while sitting in your driveway, push down on the brake pedal as hard as you would for an emergency stop. If your pedal won't hold firm, don't drive until you fix it.

I am an ASE certified auto tech for whatever that's worth...

And also take this into consideration. If say you just replace the MS and flush the rest, if there are any contaminants that have not reached much lower than there, if you flush it, you're sending everything that might be waiting in those lines through the other components.

I am an ASE certified auto tech for whatever that's worth...

And also take this into consideration. If say you just replace the MS and flush the rest, if there are any contaminants that have not reached much lower than there, if you flush it, you're sending everything that might be waiting in those lines through the other components.

Pressure back flush with denatured alcohol, might save the calipers, wheel cylinders, and flexible brake lines. Replace MC and say a little prayer.

I'm 57, ASE Master and have never seen a good outcome in these situations.

I also am a master ASE mechanic. Both in automotive & heavy truck. Anyone that does not agree in the recomendations in post #4 does NOT deserve to operate a motor vehicle on a public road. You are risking lives around you & yourself.To the OP, don't feel like such a dumda$$. You can't image how many people have done it. Most use engine oil though. It might turn out a little better if you hadn't driven it 200 miles before you realized what you did.

Last edited:
Impending doom will relegate you to the nearest ditch along the road (if you are lucky). LOL. Just keep testing them by stepping on them hard in the morning before you go over 100MPH. Thanks for the update.

Please give an aquantance your password to this forum so that he can report on your impending doom. You probably have 2-3 weeks left. Seriously though (LOL), don't forget to test every morning before you go over 100MPH.

Now would be a good time to check your E brake!
Slush-O-Matic drivers often forget they even have a E-brake. So it is seldom used when it may have avoided an problem. So set your E-brake. Doing so will keep it in your head and you will use it if needed.

I did some searching and all of the master cylinders and brake seals I could find were either Nitrile (Buna N) or Viton rubber which are both rated for petroleum oils and hydraulic fluids.

Buna-S may have been used in some older systems and is prone to oil absorption and swelling. It's a common substitute for latex rubber and used extensively in car tires. I had a syringe with oil for fixing PC fans. The plunger was apparently susceptible as it turned the oil black and swelled up to about 4x its normal size within a month.

could see the line separating the two fluids. the steering fluid floats on top. so i sucked it out, poured more fluid in, sucked more out, etc ... several times.

this weekend maybe i'll flush the entire system it's probably not a bad idea anyway

do it. hopefully you will get lucky and nothing will be damaged. But please do it.

Back