• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering clearance of 31x10.5s on stock rims?? Back Spacing sufficient?

WesWood151

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sure I will be quickly shuffled off to some obvious thread that eluded my search, but here goes anyway.

'98 XJ w/2" lift. Swapping for a 3.5" DPG OME lift.

Here's the dilemma; If I want to put 31x10.5 Wrangler Duratracs on, can I keep the stock 15x7 five spoke wheels or do I need to go with something like the 16x8 Quadratec MOABs or Rubicon Xtreme wheels?

My concern is back spacing, the lift and new bumpers should give me wheel well clearance without trimming the body, but I am concerned I'm going to bounce the tires off the steering or suspension bits during sharp wheel turns.

I really don't want to add spacers as they seem like an unnecessary added point of failure. AND if I don't have to spend any money on wheels, I can use it somewhere else.

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks, W

You should be fine. I ran 31s on stock wheels and a 3.5" lift, never had rubbing

If you do happen to get any adjust the steering stops by adding a couple washers behind them

I was running 31x10.5R15 MTR-K's on stock ZJ Canyon wheels on my heep. No issues, before that and now that I have to DD, not really wheel my XJ currently Am running Bridgestone Dueler AT 693's on stock 5-spoke steel wheels, no issues.

The ONLY place I can see issues would be LCA's. This would be as simple as what John said above, or just DON'T turn the wheels that far.

Thanks guys, great responses and it looks like I can save a few bucks for the good stuff.

Not sure about the later years but on the 1991-95 you can get WJ lower control arms and it'll solve your control arm clearance issue plus they are way stronger than stock. Think I got a pair of new ones for 50 bucks with brand new rubber bushings.

4.5" BS to clear 31x10.5 on stock suspension. The only thing you'll hit with less BS is your LCA's, which you should be throwing out anyway.

But, 4.5" is the minimum for complete and safe clearance on stock LCA's. My roomie fought with this for months because he was too poor to afford new wheels.

So, I got the 31x10.5 Duratracks on there with only a slight issue. Like you guys said, just a tad bit of rub on the LCAs. Couple of washers on the steering stop and all is good. Now I just need to see if I can get my speedometer to read right, a whole different thread, I'm sure.

Thanks again!

Easy enough, just need a new speedo gear

Back