• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box

The larger ram gives it more power to turn the pitman arm shaft, but the shaft is no larger. What I have seen fail are the bearings. The stock bearings on both boxes have a spacer between each roller. The replacement bearings I use have bearings side by side all the way around. They look like they have probably twice the contact/support area as the stock bearings. That is one of the reasons why I like to see a box rebuilt prior to stressing it a ton on an off road rig with big tires.

I'm kind of upset with my Durango gear box, I bought it rebuilt less than 9 months ago. Today my power steering was acting up so I popped the hood to see what was going on and everything was covered in oil, power steering oil. It seems to be leaking out of the rear output shaft where it connects to the steering column.

You didn't happen to adjust the spring on the pump did you?

I found that when I increased the pressure on my pump it made the input seals on the gearbox leak. Stick with the stock pressure. I increased the volume from my stock pump and that helped alot.

The WJ pump puts an added stress on the steering gear and its seals. I have a WJ pump and a smaller pulley. I am hoping my seals hold out as well. At least they are only a couple of months old.

Back