• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box options

Took the Beast out for a test drive with the new gearbox installed and it just doesn't seem right.
It turns to the left easily, and when driving straight it wants to turn the wheels left a bit, and when turning Right it's noticeably stiffer to turn the wheel. After parking it I checked the fluid reservoir and it has small bubbles in it but not to the foaming point. I have enough fluid in it. Are there just air bubbles that need to work themselves out?

Damn thing is like steering a manual steering when the engine is idling then gets easier with higher RPM. My PS pump is brand new.
What's the deal?

I posted earlier in this thread about my Lares box/PSC pump combo - the same thing you described happened to me - it was the brand new PSC pump causing the problem. Luckily they're very easy to deal with and shipped me a new pump right away. That fixed the issue.

I've always read jeeps like mopar power steering fluid. Not sure it would be enough to cause the problems your having but maybe?

Regular ps fluid should be fine.
It does sound like the ps pump is faulty, wouldn't be my first guess but if rpms improve it then it seems like the pressure is insufficient.
how does it sound?
I've replaced so many ps pumps and gears I'm trying to think of anything like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wrapped it all up today and took it for a test drive. It was considerably tighter, but I did feel a dead spot on occasion. Nothing regular. I still have some clunking, so I do need to take a look at everything from underneath while someone steers it to be sure everything is tight. I was able to straighten the steering wheel then when I put on the pitman arm it fit almost perfectly with where the TRE was set from the old box, so I can't imagine I hurt anything. I am pulling right, so I need to get that attended to.

Could a bad steering shaft - from the firewall to the box - cause clunking or any additional play in the steering wheel?

Overall, I think it was a good move to install this box, and I'll know more next time I open it up on the interstate.

Depending on your year, yes. Mine broke near the firewall. It's keyed, when it goes it adds a lot of play but you still steer. It's hard to see if it's broken, grab it with 2 hands and twist. It took me forever to figure that out on mine, because you'll never see it by just shaking the wheel.

Regular ps fluid should be fine.
It does sound like the ps pump is faulty, wouldn't be my first guess but if rpms improve it then it seems like the pressure is insufficient.
how does it sound?
I've replaced so many ps pumps and gears I'm trying to think of anything like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds normal but squeals on a turn. I think that is due to the pulley being misaligned though.

When you turned the wheels to bleed it you did it with the wheels off the ground? If not that could be an issue. Since it's only one side that seems to be having the issue I would almost guess it the box and not the pump. Pump doesn't know the difference between right and left.

I called the company and described the issue, the had me pull the Pitman arm and the start the jeep. The steering wheel slowly turned left on its own till lock-up. That plus metal in the fresh fluid had them decide i got a unit with a faulty valve and to send it in for a replacement.

Just an update:
Rock auto sent the replacement the same day my return was in the FedEx system. So far I'm quite impressed with the customer service at rock auto and Lares.
All I'm out money wise is for the PS fluid and then my personal time which is fine since I have plenty of it.

Back