• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering and trackbar options WJ knuckled D30

dirtweazle

NAXJA Forum User
I am building a D-30 from ground up. Gearing, top truss, WJ knuckles and brakes, new spring plates and link mounts. Don't try and talk me up to a 44. This is not the topic. I have searched the forums and not quite found what im looking for. I can build the parts myself as I am a Master Machinist and have access to a certified welder. Cost is a concern but will pay the money for the right upgrade in reliability. Kits are also not the topic but proof and pictures of workability can be. I would like to keep rod ends over the counter available. My question lies with the steering and track bar.

Running 33's on 15x8x4.5bs alum rims. there is not a plan to go bigger to this DD. Running 5" lift RE drop brackets, OME rear springs etc. Keeping sway bar links and steering stabilizer and will move accordingly.

Plan is to flip OTA both track bar and tierod with Gofer-it inserts or anyone else sell these for cheep? (Guess i can make these too.) Also how many will I need? 3? Both tierod ends and one for draglink? What rod ends to use? I have heard from stock WJ to chevy 1 ton. Need to know what is an option from stock to tank worthy. Would like heavier duty but I think 1 ton is overkill on 33's and clearance problems on 15" rims. Cost wise the 1 ton taper reamer I can get form work for nothing.
The track bar can be strait once its axle mount is on top? What ends to use heim or Jonny joint style? I know there is a lot shorter life on heim and they make noise. Im not a fan of heim on DDs but I have seen them used here a lot.

Both trackbar and tierod will be made from 1.5" .120 wall Cromo DOM. Some leftover from another project. Or is 1.25 better for clearance? The only clearance problem i can think of would be the diff cover but I think it will clear.

Pics can really tell a story.:yap:

I would use these from ruff stuff, just drill and weld in no remear required...
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/INSSTEER.html

For steering use this kit, pic shows heims but it is 1 ton tres, they also offer offset if clearence is an issue... or if you all ready have tubing just get the ends..
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/XOGMSTE.html

For track bar, I would use heims..simple and they hold up well.. I converted my rustys track bar to heims on both ends and its holding up well.

Might as well go 1 ton.. will just hold up longer.

He will probably not be able to run "1-ton" tre's OTK with those wheels. Also, a 1.5" OD straight tie rod will contact the coil perches and diff cover limiting steering travel. For my track bar I used 2 Johnny Joints, an RE frame side bracket and custom axle end bracket. Straight 1.5" DOM just clears the diff at full driver side compression.

For coil perches I will be using this:
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/XJ--TJ-Jeep-combo-bracket-upgrade-kit_p_1542.html

Don't know if these will clearance any better. Also using a Solid diff cover so its not one of those Titanic hull slices. Might, might not clear. This might have to wait till I get to that point.

The inserts form Ruff are perfect price point. What size taper end do they fit? Im sure the taper shank is different form 1 ton to stock WJ or whatever else is out there.

Thanks guys..

Back