• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

state inspections

funvtec

NAXJA Forum User
i always hear alot about not passing the state inspections, and people failing for things i've never had them check. Here in WI we don't have a total vehicle inspection we just have an emissions check and there ways around that. what states do this full vehicle inspection and what is all involved? Are these new to the states that have them or has it been this way for a while? Jut curious how common it is

shortxjdoug said:
no inspections in tn! drive it if it runs is the general rule of thumb

i bet you see some interesting vehicles than.
i live in CA and we have some kind of fender laws but i havent drove it long enough to find out what they are.

Shomsky462 said:
i live in CA and we have some kind of fender laws but i havent drove it long enough to find out what they are.

we do have fender laws but i haven't actually heard of them enforced, last time my buddy got pulled over he had basically 80% of the tire sticking out, the cop gave him his speeding ticket then asked him how often he went wheelin:)

Colorado used to have safety inspections but canned them due to mechanics using it to fleece the public. We have a tailpipe sniff in come counties, in the large urban areas, they put the vehicle on a dyno to test. Rumors are that the inspection is going away next year.

New York has a safety/emissions inspection. Just had mine the other day.

Safety inspection is seat belts, brakes, steering, front end, suspension, chassis, frame, wheel fasteners, tires, lights, glass, wipers, horn and mirrors.

Emissions is a little different, depending on where you live and what you drive. They do a sniff test downstate (NYC, Long Island), but upstate doesn't. 95 and older gets a visual inspection, 96 an newer get the visual and an OBDII test.

...and no, I did not recite that from memory. It came frome the NYS DMV web site! :wave:

we have a saftey inspection here in New Hampshire, someplaces will let you get away with things othe places wont, examples
2 years at one place my Grand Wagonee passed with a rotted frame by the gas tank and a crack by the frt. spring mount, last year at a diffrent place my XJ faild for, no frt. sway bar, cracked header, no e brake, and a missing bumper end cap.

Ma has a very elaborate and detailed annual inspection. physical inspection of the body. cant have any rust-through and no sharp edges of any kind. everything down to making sure the washer fluid works. if you have any kind of installed light it needs to work, even if it isnt an OEM light, including fog lights. the emmisions test is done by driving the vehicle on a wheel-dyno and sniffing the exhaust at 50 mph. they made some drastic changes a few years back and the entire system is computerized and linked to the state's computers. so now the police can run your plate# and find out when you had your last inspection. they also put ALL the responsibility on the inspector, HE can be dragged into court in front of a magistrate to answer questions, no longer the responsibility of the business. there are VERY tight restrictions on lifts, an XJ is essentially "too tall" on a 2" budget-boost and 235s! they measure ALL vehicles against the OEM specific height at the bottom of the door.

thats why i'm registered in Vermont. where they checked my lights and spent the next hour talking about wheeling. :laugh3:

Here they give us sniff test. I passed 2 years straight with multiple holes in my down pipe with my Tracker. They tested it on the dyno and it came out with 0 emissions. Take that hybrids and electrics!!

Shomsky462 said:
we do? I got pulled over so that the cop could tell me that my license plate light burned out and he didn't tell me anything about no fenders :D

Fenders/wheelhouse flares must cover the width of the tyre, per CVC (as I recall. I've gnw a copy of the jooj - òut I can't be arsed looking it up right now, to be honest. You can get your own copy for about $8 at DMV - and buying one every couple years has saved me ` pa~vload!)

But, we don't have safety inspections - except for salvaged vehicles¾) The smog hnsptbtions are a PITA - witx(the advent of Smog Check II, they're ALL run on the dyno, unless they're AVD (ölich I tell thel,mine is. Theypdon't plan on rolling out 4-wheel dynos for at least a few years, and we should be repatriated by then.n/ Back`uo the 49 states!)

5|90

for GA especially here in Atlanta they sniff and must have cat. but outside the city emissions are null and you can get away with fender problems and missing cats though i only see that on trucks with bigger engines and probally mistake it for coffe can hondas...i have never had a problem passing but they wont inspect your vehicle unless it has a cat

Here in Illinois as long as you have a cat., a good gas cap, and a good alignment if you go on the dyno with a front driver, you're good. You're lucky to see somebody who knows enough about cars to get the thing started and complete the testing!

NJ: Safety and emissions

Emissions is done on a dynamometer (like MA) for vehicles MY1980-1996, OBD-II for 1996-Up, idle test for pre-1980, and no emissions test on passenger diesels of GVWR <10K lbs (such as my TDI). Commercial diesels of >10k lbs GVWR are handled in another setup.

As to safety: they check that all lights work (they used to check the aim as well, but stopped it because it "takes too long". Cripes, the damn dynamometer test takes 5 minutes, do it in parallel with that. The real reason is that there's no money in it, unlike emissions.), that the windows aren't damaged, no excessive play in suspension, brakes (equalization of wheels and stopping power, but no check on the e-brake), horn works, and maybe wipers (don't recall on that).

Lifted vehicles go to special stations with "tilt tables". Not sure what the cutoff is on this, my '92 with 2" OME wasn't even blinked at last time around, and it's due again next Dec. - wonder if they'll even realize the tires are larger than stock? I figure I'll take it to the regular station, and if they don't ask, I won't tell.

Rob

Here in Vermont it's a safety check done by licensed garages and it can range from the strictest tight-a$$ed nonsense to the assumption that if you got there under your own power it must be safe enough. There are regulations on what must be checked, but it isn't enforced evenly. I take my vehicles to different places depending on what I want looked at. One place is a stickler about rusty lfoors but ignores other things, so I take my truck there because I know they won't notice the bad ball joints. Another ignores rust but looks very carefully at ball joints, etc. OBDII vehicles get scanned, too, and this usually ups the cost. Pre OBDII has no check for emissions, etc.

bjoehandley said:
Here in Illinois as long as you have a cat., a good gas cap, and a good alignment if you go on the dyno with a front driver, you're good. You're lucky to see somebody who knows enough about cars to get the thing started and complete the testing!

IIRC, smogging is only done in Cook County and the Collar counties. Maybe down by St. Louis.

Used to be they could only put up to 33x12.50s on the rollers. Bigger tires, and they used some other method.

Wow, i really feel for some of you guys!!

We have no emissions testing or vehicle inspections in WY :laugh3:

Registration is 15 dollars for any non commercial vehicle for the year...10 bucks for motorcycles.

BlackSport96 said:
Here they give us sniff test. I passed 2 years straight with multiple holes in my down pipe with my Tracker. They tested it on the dyno and it came out with 0 emissions. Take that hybrids and electrics!!

the sniffer tests don't work like that. If you got 0 emissions it just means that you were below the limits of emissions. the only way to get absolute 0 emissions is to run on hydrogen ( only byproducts are water and oxygen).

Jeffro600 said:
Wow, i really feel for some of you guys!!

We have no emissions testing or vehicle inspections in WY :laugh3:

Registration is 15 dollars for any non commercial vehicle for the year...10 bucks for motorcycles.

yeah me too, WI seems pretty good to me except it cost i think 80 bucks to register and if i register my cars in a county that doesn't require emissins test i'm set. I don't even have to go to the DMV just gotta mail in a payment before its due. I live in a county that requires emissions test but like i said i register out of county and haven't had any problems yet

EDIT: funny thing i just checked my mail and got my registration card today, it costs 48.50

Last edited:
West Virginia- Brakes, wheel bearing, tires, lights, signals, and fender flares. We also have a modified sticker that any vehicle lifted or dropped has to have as well as a vehicle with tires or wheels 2 sizes smaller or larger than it came with stock. After you get your modified cops really don't care though.

Back