• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter tool set

cnjcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I'm pretty new to jeep ownership, and have very few tools, all of which are unorganized.
I want to buy a set of tools (preferably craftsman) that will have what I need to do basic repairs, or install bumpers, and other aftermarket purchases.
This one seems ideal, is there anything else I should look for supplementary to this kit, or instead?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00935255000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
that'll get you through most basic repairs and modifications on your XJ, you'll need some odd size larger sockets here and there, and any major tool you can rent from autozone or o'rielly's and the like.

Do yourself a favor and start saving up for a nice ($200+) electric impact gun, or an air compressor 30 gallon size or more and an air driven impact gun. Jeeps get rusty and bolts like to sieze up on you.

Welcome to the club! :cheers:

thats a good kit, but tool collections can grow your entire life and not be complete.... many times you can make do without the specialty tools, at the expense of wasted time, or broken parts... but if we listed every tool we've ever used on the jeep... you might get discouraged.

'basic repairs' can mean a wide array of things, and that kit doesnt cover everything... for example to change out front suspension/drivetrain stuff, you'll want an air impact wrench, and a torque wrench to properly torque to spec.... my advise? get friends who also work on jeeps so you dont have to buy EVERYTHING yourself.

That is my box that lives in the Jeep. Excellent set for most repairs, and your tools will grow with the extent of your repairs/upgrades. A very good start.

A few things in addition- a hammer, vice grips, pliers, dikes. All I can think of off the top of my head right now. And yea, AWESOME kit, it has 75% of tools I've used for my Jeep.

I began with a start kit like that, it was a step down craftsman setup actually that I got on black friday.

Grab a breaker bar while you are there, it always got used. May as well grab a 2nd small tool box also to start filling, it is never ending but adds up fast when you first start out.

Just to chime in - I carry the same tool set in my XJ. In addition, I have a couple of pairs of Vise Grip, Channe lLocks, side cutter, electrical tools, a BFH, and a few odd and ends.

Nice set, and it has room on the top to add a reasonable number of additional tools.

David Bricker / SYR

Back