• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Started lift, got nowhere...

XJensen said:
Sounds like you are going through exactly what I did a few weeks ago, right down to a tee. LOL glad I am not the only one, we were certainly not the first.

Misery loves company, things could only get worse if the Jeep fell off the jack stands and landed on my head. The words "bolt on" mean nothing to me now...

Yuppers ,same thing i went through, did you loosen the 2 nuts on the frame side of the lower control arms so the bolt would come out ?
To get stuff to line back up i used a come along if i remember , not the best but it worked ok. To get the control arm to line up,put the top in and then have someone turn the sterring wheel till the bolt on the axle end lines up. should be 3 quarters of an inch longer than the stock track bar.

How come you messed with the brake lines ? just straiten out the stock ones at the frame and that should do it,have to redrill the hole lower is all for the self tap bolt.
Are the upper and lower control arms the same length as stock ? The pitman arm is off the box isnt it ?

Hope i dont screw you up here,kinda tired tonight,,,,,,,,still !! working on mine ,a few bugs here and there,oh ya and over there,,shit

The kit came with brake lines, but I relocated the hardlines too for good measure. I'm pretty sure the control arms that came with the kit are longer than stock...that would make sense, right, esp. the "Super Flex" ones...

87manche said:
eggzachary, that's how mine came off. Then they got replaced with regular grade 8 stuff.
Beating on them was just bending the link mounts.
Beating them is bout the only way to get them out. Heres what you do put a come along from sway bar mount to sway bar mount make sure its tight and beat away they wont be able to seperate therefore no bent mount

I broke a stud off the hub assembly taking the tire off...how unlucky is that?! Anyway the lift is done, the ass end sits about 2" higher than I would like, the 250lb bumper in front probly doesn't help with that, maybe I'll get some spacers and hopefully the springs will settle. I ordered the 4.5"~5.5" RE monotube shocks, nice but I needed the 3.5"~4.5" in the rear and the ones I have in the front, they are 4-6 inches or so from being fully compressed sitting at level with no load...the front looks about half way down with about an 7-8" extension of the shocks...and one 2nd degree partial thickness burn to the hand later, my lift is done. Its at the mechanic now waiting for new wheels and tires, figure out why it has no brakes (yes I drove there with almost no brakes) and to get an estimate on installing my sye kit and driveshaft because I have had it up to here^ with this project...Pictures to follow...it should look great with the new tires and AEV wheels. Thanks to all for the help!

Good lookin rig I think,to bad Rubicon doesnt sell springs that wont make it look like a doorstop. Just my 2 cents on that

The sye kit is easier to do than the lift,just take youre time. PM me if you want and give me youre number and i will call you ?

On my 96 i had the same issues with the vibes ,ended up with a 10 degree pinion angle with 6 degree shims ,all seems fine now.
JB conversions has a good write up on this,print it out and it will help a lot.
I changed to a 30 tooth speedo gear thingy,10 bucks at the dealer,but i think the 34 tooth factory is closer,i will switch it back and check further.

Hang in there,it sure is a pain i know.

I heard the 33 tooth somewhere but I haven't really looked into it. I have this very odd wet rubber sqeak coming from the rear pass. side, it rained today, its not the tire rubbing, its pretty far off the body, shock get wet, shackle bushing maybe? I'll look into the sye project a little more and see if I want to do it, this whole project didn't go so well, things that should have been easy weren't to say the least.

100 % with ya on the didnt go as easy as planned, i used up most all the swear words known to man on my adventure.
Squeky noise could be the bushings in the shocks,i am not a fan of the poly style junk myself but others seem to like them,to hard i think.
When i pointed my pinion up to 10 degrees it also pointed the shock mounts on the axle up --a lot -- I took a 5/8 drill bit and reamed out the polycrap bushings on the lower shock mounts to the same angle to hopefully relieve the stress on that mounting point as well as the mounting bolts at the upper body points.
If it doesnt work i could care less ,i will then use new rubber ones.

Rubber bushings all around...I'm starting to think its the sway bar. I swear to god I didn't think a 4.5" lift would make the Jeep hard to get up into it...I haven't measured yet but I'm guessing I gained about ~~7 inches or more from ground to unibody, not what I wanted to say the least. If I regain the use of my hand I suppose I'll take a crack at the SYE tomorrow, and try to do an alignment since the shop obviously didn't even try...they are getting a nasty call Monday I think.

When or if you decide to do the sye ,get a large set of lock ring pliers or borrow some ,thats the biggest pain i found, you also dont have to take off the large snap ring on the old tailshaft, the inner yes ,the outer no.
Print out the JB conversions article on it
Also put the gasket goop on the case thats in the rig still,not on the one that comes out.

Lets see ? on the 12 point bolt thats on top ,10 mm i think ,there is a nut behind it on the back side , 15 mm , that holds a wire loom in place ,no big deal just so you know its there and put it back after you have the case buttoned up.

Also ,on the oil pump gizmo with the 4 ears on it ,make sure its on the --outside -- when you go back to bolt it together,ya it will fit on the inside, dont ask me how i know?

You can do it ,you did the pita springs. It is easier , just looks decieving is all. Hope you get healed up soon. Just remember pm me if you want,i will call ya. :clap:

Back